Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here..And L4, L5, S1 fusion and more

TerreTTerre Posts: 1
edited 06/19/2014 - 3:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am a 39 year old Mother of a 21 year old and a 17 year old. Married 23yrs
A little background..
I herniated the L5/S1 in 2008
April of 2013 I herniated L4/L5 Had no insurance so did nothing except Ice, heat and OTC pain meds.
March of 2014 finally got insurance. Was diagnosed with fibro. Had MRI, then diagnosed with arthritis in my facets, herniated L4/L5 Herniated L5/S1 sent to orthopedic surgeon. He then agreed with the previous diagnosis and said I also have bone spurs in mu upper back. Ordered a discogram. It showed Severe degenerative disc disease as well as the herniations.

Insurance denied surgery, so the doctor did a peer to peer interview and the insurance approved the surgery.
Posterior posterolateral technique
Fuse L4, L5, S1
herrington rod technique
grafts from hip
discectomy at L4 and L5
Cages at L4 and L5

My surgery is scheduled for July 3rd. I have a neurologist appointment June 25th and preop registration and blood work the same day. I have my last visit with the orthopedic surgeon on the 30th.

I live 2hrs away from all the doctors and hospital. I can not take any ibprophen, tylenol, asprin, mobic etc a week before surgery. These trips back and forth are going to be extremely hard.
I really dread the ride home after surgery.

Glad to be here and reading all your posts :)