Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi everyone I'm new here and enjoying reading through people's journeys. I am a 42 yo Aussie who has been struggling with back issues for 2.5 years. It all started with an injury at work, prolapsed disc at l5s1 - almost complete extrusion with extreme nerve compression. I had sciatic pain and numbness/pins and needles to right leg and foot. Extreme pain. I had 3 * epidurals to nil effect. I continued working through this time. In Feb last year I had a partial Disectomy and laminectomy with nerve compression. It was found during surgery that large pieces of my end plates had fractured away and wrapped themselves in my disc - hence why the epidurals didn't work. I had great success with surgery and my leg symptoms improved immediately. I was back at work 2 weeks post surgery on light duties but full time. I had a really successful year (aside from severe depression) and I made huge gains. Unfortunate in December last year I began to get numbness in my foot again and pain in my hip. By January this year I was unable to sit at all. New MRI showed another prolapse at same site but this time it was central rather then lateral. My vertebra was just too unstable and defragmmenting and a spinal fusion was the only option (while waiting we tried another epidural to nil effect). Surgery was scheduled for feb 27 and I was in agony waiting. Unfortunately on the day of my surgery, in the theatre I had a cardiac arrest. After adrenaline and CPR they got me back. Surgery postponed for 6 weeks while they tried to find out cause. I eventually had my surgery on April 8 2014 and now am in recovery mode. I'm not sure what else to say. I am up and down emotionally. I try to be really positive, but that is exhausting. I have 3 kids so that's also a challenge. I'm still on Mobic 15mg, Targin 20 mg twice daily, endone when needed, temaze, citalopram (which we are currently increasing) and lyrica. I pretty much haven't left the house this year, so now that I am starting physio I'm being forced out of my comfort zone. I have been having some issues with panic attacks. Physically my main issues now are hip pain that we are assuming is from the bone graft and when I'm fatigued I get electric shocks in right foot and ankle foot pain (my nerves were completely compressed so all expected). I also get uncontrollable right leg shakes which is scary. Ok, that's it, that's me. Thanks for allowing me to tell my story. Cheers, Kath.