Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm long past fusion rehab...what do I do now? What can I do?

batfish55bbatfish55 Posts: 1
edited 06/19/2014 - 6:48 PM in Water Cooler
First, this really isn't meant to be a whoa-is-me kind of thing.

A little background: I was a competitive gymnast for 10 years. Undoubtedly, that's what set me up for this.

In 2007, I had a short fall, only a couple of feet, and ruptured my L5/S1. Two years and two surgeries later, the second a spinal fusion, I went back to school. Since I couldn't do my physical job anymore, I needed brain training for a brain job.

I just finished my electrical engineering degree, and have begun to stick my head outdoors again for the first time in years (for those who don't know, any engineering degree program is VERY intense).

After reading about electrons for 5 years, I'm out of shape and am looking for hobbies, especially something physical to get back into shape, but I don't know what my metal back will let me do. Also, because of the gymnastics, my knees are shot too (degenerated meniscus cartilage, the soft stuff). So hiking, biking, and anything with any impact is out.

Any suggestions? Working out at the gym is too mind-numbing. I want a hobby.