Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Am I too impatient L3 4 decompression

I had trouble walking and surgeon did an MRI. It showed a bulging disk at L3-4. Did a bunch of non surgical stuff to try fix. No improvement with non surgical. Surgeon recommended a laminotomy (not laminectomy) and a discetomy at L3-4. I approved and went forward with surgery. Prior to surgery I really could not walk a quarter mile without sitting down to relieve pain. Post surgery for five days my leg pain was 100% gone in my legs,buttocks, hips. On day six, I am experiencing left leg pain from buttocks/hip down to knee, pain is very bad without pain killers.

I have read that time will heal this. Why did I experience no pain for five days and now pain hits hard on day six. I am afraid surgeon missed something. One other point, if I go to slight extension, it hurts a lot on left side in buttocks/hip and leg. I have only done that once and will not repeat. Any thoughts from anyone on why no pain first five days and boom it hits on day six. Did the surgeon miss something.
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome...........it is unlikely that the surgeon missed anything. The reason that you didn't have nerve related pain immediately post op is that the anesthesia, pain medications and relief of the compression of the nerves all worked in your favor post op. The nerves, muscles, and tissues are cut, moved and jostled around during surgery and after a few days, nerve pain can and often does flare up, even if you didn't have it prior to surgery, due to the moving around, and retractors, etc.
    It will settle down, but it may take a bit of time before it does. If it continues past a week or two, ask your surgeon about using one of the neuropathic medications to help ease the pain.