Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4L5 360 Surgery 4/29/2014

MissyLouMMissyLou Posts: 3
edited 06/20/2014 - 7:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi,
I had back surgery almost eight weeks ago. This is the first time to actually post anything. The surgery went extremely well. I was up and walking down the hall to the nurses station after being back in my room from recovery in about 2 hours. I was concerned because you never seem to hear anything good about back surgery. I came home almost 24 hours after surgery. I had wonderful help at home. Getting up and down out of the bed and going to the bathroom was the worst for the first 3 days. Everything improved after that. I began walking first in the house every 20 minutes or so when I was up. The doctor said it was my job and it would speed recovery. By the end of week one I was walking a mile outside with my friend the backbrace and my cousin (awesome helper). By the end of week two I was walking 4 miles (still with the lovely backbrace). I had my followup appt. at week 2. Thought I was going to be able to start therapy but was told that grafting needed more time to heal. 4 more weeks to be exact. Continued walking and was able to add my dogs back into the walk (still with my friend, the backbrace). I have big dogs so I had to take them one at a time. Luckily for me they are old just like me. I'm 59. I continued walking and moved that up to 5 miles a day. Week 6 back to the doctor for my checkup. Yay.... Moved to physical therapy and no more backbrace (now kinda scary without it... came to rely on it). I'm not a fan of going somewhere for therapy but at least it's just down the road. Now I'm doing the bike and all the other back associated stretches. My hamstrings are really tight. Probably part of the problem to begin with. I wanted to post here to share that there really are people that have back surgeries that seem to be working. Therapy has me a little stiff but I feel better than I have in a number of years. I would appreciate any great tips on best moves to keep me on the right track. I really don't want to get over zealous. The goal is to be healthy and strong. Thanks in advance for in any tips.
advertisement

Comments