Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI Report -- Translation into layman's...

Hi All,

I've moved from Miami to San Francisco recently. In the process of moving, I reinjured my lower back. I saw the original neurosurgeon who ordered another MRI, but I wasn't able to see him again as I had plans to move. I'm in a considerable amount of pain. My foot feels like someone is taking a blow torch to it and I can hardly walk on it anymore. I was trying to see an orthopedic surgeon here or a neurosurgeon, but none of these doctors have availability! The earliest appointment I could get is for Friday of next week. Not sure if I'm going to be able to go that long. It seems like the pain is getting worse... I'm thinking about just going to an urgent care because the pain is driving me nuts.

Anyway, I have the MRI and report, but trying to understand this is like trying to understand another language. I think it indicates that I have a disc herniation at L5-S1 (this is the disc I originally herniated), but I'm not entirely sure. If anyone can lend a hand translating this....

The MRI Report reads as follows:

L4-L5 disc: Disc degeneration. Broad-based disc bulge flattens the thecal sac. Deficiency of the left lamina and ligamentum flavum, suggestive for previous laminectomy. Mild facet arthosis. Canal caliber at lower limits of normal. Patent nueral foramina.

L5-S1 disc: Disc degeneration with mild loss of disc space height. Posterior osteophytes and central disc protrustion. Protrusion obliterates ventral epidural fat and to uches the thecal sac and S1 nerve roots bilaterally. No frank compression. Enhancing soft tissue surrounds the left S1 nerve root, consistent with post-surgical granulation tissue scar. Swelling of the left nerve root. Normal canal caliber. Moderate face arthrosis. Enhancing soft tissue surrounds the right L5 nerve root and the neural foramina, consistent with post-surgical granulation tissue scar. The right nueral foramen is patent.

1. Degenerated L4-L5 disc with disc bulge and previous left laminectomy. Stable.
2. Degenerated L5-S1 disc with central disc protrusion and left laminectomy. No significant change in size of disc protrusion. Current examination includes post contrast imaging. Granulation tissue scar surrounding left L5 and left S1 nerve roots.

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it!