Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Relief At Last

Hello Everyone,

For various reasons, I have not visited this website for quite awhile. I wanted to share my experiences in seeking relief for my chronic neck pain. I have been "fighting" this chronic neck pain for about seven years. Long story short, due to the passing of my husband in September 2013, I relocated back to the state in which I was born and raised, Michigan.

My new PCP and Pain Management doctors could not believe the amount of opiate pain medications I was taking. Both indicated that it was almost twice as much as it should be. I am now on a different path to relieve my pain. I am being weaned off the opiated to be replace with non-opiate medications. One of these is an NSAID that does not cause stomach upset. The other is Aqua Therapy and some "Land" Therapy, as we call it. The Aqua or Water Therapy is wonderful! Being over medicated for so many years is intolerable. How many of you might be over medicated? Seems it is more common than I thought.

Anyway, sorry this is so long, but I wanted to afford all of you with the possibility of trying the water therapy. Thanks for listening, everyone. God Bless!

Rassy's Story
Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.

• Had you not tried NSAIDs, water therapy and other things like that prior to starting opioids? I did and I would have thought most others would have too. Personally, they have not been effective for me. Also, the NSAID damaged my stomach. I believe they all carry that risk. I do hope your new treatment plan works out for you, but it seems hopeful of your new doctors to aim to replace high-dose opioids with aqua therapy and NSAIDs. Sometimes people are on strong meds because that is what works for them.
  • mcjimjam,
    My journey to lessen or even eliminate my pain began with pain levels of 8 to 10 every day. I had a bone spur removed in 2008 and 2 level fusion (c5/6 and c6/7) in 2009. I was one that needed those high dose opiates to even begin to relieve any pain. When I relocated to Michigan, a new cervical spine MRI was done. According to my Pain Management doctor, the MRI revealed no impingements on my spinal cord, no pinched nerves or any other evidence of anything that should be causing such severe pain. He surmised that , perhaps, the pain was due the continuing tightness of the neck muscles. I had not been very active while I hurt so bad. Seems anything I did aggravated the intensity of my pain. Thus the therapies were initiated. I understand that some people need the high powered opiates ... used them for past 7 years or so. Guess everyone does not travel the same path in search of pain relief. All I can say is any way it works, go for it. Thank-you for your response. I truly appreciate it.

Rassy's Story
    Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
    The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.
  • One thing I can't take. Full stomach or not. It burns a whole through my stomach like a drill. Which is why I was taking so much ibuprofen before I was sent to a pain management doctor. Glad it works for you though! I know the first thing I did was not go to a doctor asking for drugs. I did heat, tens, cold and ibuprofen, chiro, Tried Aleve, aspirin, exercise, and lotions and potions. And come to find out I needed a pain management doctor.
    Herniated disc c4-7, cervical radiculopathy, DDD, herniated lumbar disc, Fibromyalgia, blood pressure, hypothyroidism, SCS since 10/10, RLS, sciatica, discogram, RFA lumbar, oodles of cervical epidurals, trigger point injections, physical therapy