Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

singeissingei Posts: 6
edited 06/21/2014 - 11:16 PM in Spinal Injections
My new partner is 49...male and in very bad shape. This is a new relationship for me after leaving a 32 year marriage and we are very much in love. BUT....he has got major spine problems.....bulging lumbar discs...osteoarthritis...cracks in the vertabrae....pinched nerves...narrowing of the spinal cord....its cuasing him intense daily/nightly pain and his whole spine right up to the neck is affected with these ailments. He is a working man in a job where the boss is in agreeance to not have him lifting too much as he is a power steering for truck mechanic. His doctor told him he should gfet another type of work and is a candidate for surgery and his phisiotherapist he sees once or twice a week has said he may end up in a wheel chair withing a couple of years if he does lifting. He is not lifting any more at his job as the boss has stopped that now. But he has had to take endone and it is making him tired and affecting our love making . He was in tears the other night as he is so afraid of being an invalid and hates not being able to love me as he wishes. It has affected our sex life drastically. He has numbness in both fingers of his hands and shooting pain down his legs and of course pain oin his back. The doc has just sent him off for phisio as the hospital waiting lists are years long. My question is we were told about cortisone injections and i want to know which type of doctor would do those and how successful they might be for pain relief. I love him soo much and want to get as much help and advice for him as possible. He has no medical insurance so he is up for paying for anything big time but I want to help as much as i can. He is allergic to any type of anti inflammatorys so can not take those. He takes strong codeine whicoes very little and endone.

• Your description of the pain your partner has is so prevalent on this website. Each person to a point follows a path not by choice but by how our bodies react and we all get to a point where we think it can't get any worse. Steroids have helped me big time. The problem with it is your endocrine system can really get screwed up if you take too much.

I think he needs to sit down with his doctors he has now and discuss a treatment plan to see what/where he should go. As far as insurance is concerned, as much as it pains me to say this, look into the ACA plans for your state. Some states have pretty good plans while others are horrible. I will say that in KY, our governor has a sweet program for exchanges. Lord knows were getting taxed hard enough to cover the program! That being said, perhaps he can get coverage so that surgery may be able to be done if that's what all the doctors recommend.

It's important to remember that steroids are not a permanent fix and is a band aid at best. I usually get four rounds of facet joint injections each year which does help me. But again, I'm playing roulette with my endocrine system considering how much cortisone I'm getting.

Which anti-inflammatories is your partner allergic?

I hope he finds some relief soon!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Does getting the injections act the same way as oral steroids? Thanking you for your advice.
  • EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 920
    edited 06/23/2014 - 12:55 AM
    Cortisone can help taken orally, but the Facet Joint Injection targets the problem and the medicine is delivered right to the spot. For me, the shots work much better than oral steroids.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2