Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Failed Discectomy - 10 days post surgery?

Hello Forum! I will try to keep this simple and short. About 10 days ago I had Lumbar Discectomy on my L4-L5 right side. I left hospital after 1 day with some percocets, motrin and a couple other meds. Almost immediately after getting home I started to have more pain in the right leg and buttocks...more than what I had pre-surgery. It has continued to get worse each day since I left. I tried to do some walking like the doctor said, but am only able to get about 100 yards before the pain gets so bad I have to do down to my knees. Additionally, I have developed a lateral shift to the left side so bad that I am hitting furniture and doorways as I walk through them. I have no idea how to measure it, but it is grotesquely obvious and any attempts to straighten up brings severe pain and immediate numbness to the right toes. So, for past few days I have basically been restricted to my bed and couch with short walks to bathroom, kitchen or the kids rooms. I called my doctor after about 4 days of this and he said we would wait until the 10-day post-op appointment to look at it, which is tomorrow. He did give me some more medications, to include a 6-day steroid dose pack and some other meds for bowel and bladder issues. Bottom line, none of the medications have done anything to take away the pain or the inflammation from what I can tell. fortunately my bowel and bladder movements have stabilized, but that is about the only good news.

So, I'm back to see the doctor tomorrow, but curious to hear if anyone has any ideas of what they think may be going on. I'm guessing he will want more imaging done (MRI) which may lead to another surgery..maybe another discectomy or more aggressive fusion? Thank you for your inputs and advice!