Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower Back Pain that has been causing leg and arm pain

New user here, nice to be here.

I'll be honest, I'm a 20 year old guy who probably shouldn't have back problems. I'm overweight but not obese. For the past 18 months or so, I would occasionally get excruciating back spasms that rendered me incapable of walking or doing anything to get comfortable until it went away after anywhere from 30-45 mins.

But they were sporadic after awhile so I had no reason to think or worry about them. On Thursday afternoon, I once again had these horrible back spasms that went away after 30 mins or so. I was in a little bit of pain afterwards but didn't think too much of it. I go to work and am on my feet for about 6 hours.

I wake up the next day in increased pain in my back but go to work anyway for another day of work (8 hours) and as the day progressed, my back pain became worse and noticed my left leg was starting to hurt, in various parts. I knew that this wasn't good as my mother had the same thing happen to her a long time ago and she had a herniated disc that was resting on the sciatic nerve.

I went to the emergency room after work and told the ER doctor what was going on and he said it was very possible that I have a herniated disc in my back but couldn't be sure because they couldn't do an MRI (because it was 1 AM). He said I couldn't work the next two days and was restricted to bed rest and also pain killers and muscle relaxants. If my symptoms didn't improve or got worse, I needed to call my primary care doctor for examination/MRI.

As these two days have progressed, my pain hasn't gotten any worse but not any better either. I've also noticed that my right leg is bothering me as well along with my arms, all the way down to my fingers. I am calling my primary care doctor in the morning to schedule an appointment but wanted to see what anyone thought could be going on.

This pain isn't excruciating like when I have the spasms, but it is a nagging (almost constant pain) that has made it hard for me to get comfortable, be on my feet for any more than short periods of time, and also sit, stand, or recline without pain and difficulty to do so.

It could be a range of things going on, from a possible herniated disc, to a muscle pull, to a pinched nerve, to something possibly worse (hopefully not).

This didn't all start at once and I do not think I had an injury that caused this either. Let me know what you guys think, thanks!