Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 weeks post op laminectomy

I had a laminectomy 2 months ago. I'm doing much better but I noticed my leg (the same one that was affected by sciatic pain) is starting to feel tingley with pins and needles. Anyone have any insight? Thanks

• A laminectomy is done to relieve nerve compression, so it is most likely that the nerves are beginning to wake up and recover their function. This is a good sign. http://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-message-resource
  • Thanks Sandi! Have you heard of this before?
  • and experienced it too........most of us have. Nerve pain flare ups is one of those things that surgeons often 'forget' to mention but it happens more often than not.
  • thanks Sandi! I'm just nervous because I hear about all the terrible things that happen to people on this website. I'm hoping it's not scar tissue... I'm so traumatized by this experience and I hope I don't have to go through it again. I still have a little lower back discomfort. Thank you
  • what to expect after surgery, we base things on what we have experienced previously and spine surgery is unlike anything else we have gone through before........for some, it seems easy and it may be, depending on what was done, what the problem was before the surgery, and what they have experienced before, then the majority of us, have highs and lows during our recoveries, and we don't know what caused the problem in the first place so we worry about anything that seems to be out of the norm....
    Hang in there Jenny, you are getting there, slowly but surely.
  • did you have a laminectomy? I noticed the same time my leg started to feel pins and needles my back became a little more sore. Do you think this is normal? thanks sorry to be a pest
  • http://www.xortho.com/sites/default/files/web-Vertebral_body.jpg

Yes, I had a laminectomy and a whole lot more stuff too, twice, so I have a pretty good reference point for surgery and what's normal and not......
    I am posting an image of what was removed during the laminectomy because most surgeons don't take the time to show the patients what is being done during their surgery. As I said before, a laminectomy is done to open the "roof" of the spinal canal to give the cord and the spinal nerves room to float in the cord as they are supposed to......if you look at the image, you will see where the lamina is located and that is the area that is removed during your type of surgery.
    One of my major pet peeves is that surgeons often don't take the time to really go over the surgery with their patients, to explain and show what they are going to remove, or fix and they certainly don't go over the recovery process as well as they could with patients prior to or after surgery. Then patients wind up wondering if sudden flare ups of pain are normal or not, and worry that something that is normal means that their surgery failed or something is seriously wrong......
    The pins and needles feeling is common hon, and it is usually a sign that the compression or impingement of the nerves is improving.....if it spreads to a new area, or worsens and becomes numb, then you need to contact your doctor for evaluation, but typically, the pins and needles is a good sign....and the pain is going to be there for a bit, as the bone heals from where it was cut. There is typically some swelling that occurs on and off for some months, and sitting too long, or laying too long can aggravate it and cause some of the fluid to settle into the area for a bit....that's why not sitting or laying or standing too long at one time is so crucial during the acute phase of recovery...
    Does that help to explain things a bit? If not, I can try again.
  • JennakJJennak Posts: 9
    edited 06/26/2014 - 3:18 PM
    thank you so much for the information! You're so right about surgeons. They probably be come desensitized. I don't think they realize how scary this is for people
  • textbook descriptions what actual post op surgery is like.......I doubt too many of them have undergone it.....and sadly , the technical aspect they have down, the human side of it, not so much......at least some of the ones that I have met.....LOL