Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post-microdiscectomy and laminectomy pain- questions and expectations

MEA815MMEA815 Posts: 2
edited 06/23/2014 - 4:58 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi! I have never posted on a forum but I have found a lot of helpful info on this site. I am a healthy, active 35 year old woman who has always led an active lifestyle- running, riding horses, etc. I have had lower back pain issues since I was a kid (I grew up showing horses competitively) but began to have serious issues when I was in law school in 2003 and sitting all the time. I had two nerve blocks , one in 2006 which "fixed" the pain for several years, but it slowly came back, and I had another block in 2012, which pretty much didn't do anything. My MRIs showed a progressively worsening disc protrusion at l4/l5 (or l5/s1- I can't remember for sure!) and finally after my most recent MRI in May of this year, my doc said surgery was a viable option as the more conservative treatment (the blocks, various physical therapy, steroid packs) was not effective and the low back pain and sciatica down my right leg was unbearable. I had a microdiscectomy and laminectomy at l5/s1 on June 3rd for an extruded herniated disc. I am self employed as an attorney, which involves lots of sitting!! My doctor released me to go back to work after two weeks and I am now at about three weeks after surgery. I hurt when I went into the surgery and noticed an immediate relief right after. However, the pain has returned with a vengeance. I am freaked out because sitting is basically impossible and standing after any length of time results in excruciating burning pain down both legs and horrible aching through my hips, with a throbbing pain that is worse than before surgery. I am supposed to start PT tomorrow and plan to ask my therapist these questions too, but I have no idea what to expect I terms of the pain and how long I should be standing or sitting. I have to be back at work, but don't know how to manage the pain. I was In the office today from noon to five and was in so much pain that I had to lay down on the floor of my office. I am almost out of the pain meds the doctor prescribed (Percocet) and taking one of those when I get home and laying on my back is the only thing that gives me relief. I have been lying down this evening and the pain has definitely decreased but the throbbing pain through the front of my right hip is still there. Am I just expecting too much too soon? How long should I be standing or sitting at one time? Is it inflammation that is causing the increased pain? Will it get better? I would welcome any suggestions as to how to handle the return to work/expectations of pain management issue. Should I use heat or ice at the end of the day? I anticipate that perhaps I am expecting recovery to be quicker than it really is (and I think that is a correct assumption after reading some of the forums on this site) or that I am doing too much too soon; however, I am self employed and have to be able to work to pay the bills. Any guidance is much appreciated, and thanks so much!