Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am 32 and I recently went through an ACD w/o fusion, it's almost 2 months since my surgery, still in pain, still on pain meds that I feel I have to take because otherwise the unease and uncomfort becomes to much, it's not the type of pain that comes and goes, it's constant and located right at c6-c7 where my surgery was. I have shoulder pain and arm pain as well, numbness of fingers but most of all the steady pain in the lower neck, upper back, trapezius and right in the middle of spine. My doctors recommend a fusion, my family is against it and I am in a Delma of what to do, like many questions I see posted here, I wonder how I will be afterwards of the surgery, will it have more pain to deal with than I have already? Will the discomfort grow even more? I am given a 55-50 % success rate and I'm told to take time to think it through because once I go with this I can't go back but all I'm thinking about is will it ease my pain??? So then I'm told that it's exchanging one pain for another, that suffering from my injury is something I need to get used to. But maybe with time it will get better? I meet people that went through with acdf and are twice my age, they are happy, but those that are my age are warning me. I take a low dose of oxycodone as it turns 10 mg is low dose in comparison with some others out there who claim to take 50mg. But for me 10 is plenty as I am not a heavy person or exceptionally tall and do not like medication as it were.

• It is far too early to call your previous surgery anything, failure or otherwise.......you are ONLY two months out from the surgery, and it takes time for the nerve pain and post op pain to subside and your body to heal and recover. Undergoing surgery again so soon is not going to give you the outcome that you are looking for, because you aren't giving it time to heal from the first surgery, let alone taking the time to see what the actual outcome is of this surgery.
    Unless there is some serious nerve or cord compression, that is threatening your ability to walk or causing serious nerve issues, I would wait for at least a year.
    Are you in physical therapy? What rehab are you doing to help get your mobility and function back at this stage?
    Surgery is not an all or nothing cure, it is a small part of the process of recovery , but the rehab and work post op is the most important part of this spine journey.
  • I go to pt once a week and ct twice a week, I get massages several times a week and I want to try acupuncture too. I am going to try craniosacral therapy this week. I agree that time is important to give , the healing process is a long one. I'm set the point where I've tried everything else that the doctors can do so now I need alternatives
  • once a week, are you doing the excercises as many times per day at home as you are supposed to? Physical therapy isn't meant to be done only when you are at the physical therapists' office, it is meant to be done each day, and often a couple of times per day to help build up your strength and endurance.
  • The answer is yes but my hands are sort of numb rt now lol
  • My pain in neurological, it's constant. No matter what I do... Massage, pt, walking, hot towels nothing works
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 07/07/2014 - 1:30 PM
    It can take months for nerve pain to resolve......as I said earlier, it is far too early to be considering another surgery, or calling this surgery a failure.....you aren't even out of the acute post op phase of surgery , let alone at the point that surgery outcome is considered a failure.
    I know that it's not easy , especially when you are dealing with nerve pain, but rushing into any further surgery is going to lead you to a similiar outcome. Spine surgery is not like other surgeries, where once the incisions heal, the recovery is pretty much complete. The surgery itself is only the beginning of the journey........the tissues and nerves were moved around, cut and compression and impingement was relieved. Those nerves were compressed for sometime before the surgery, and they only regrow at a rate of 1 mm-2mm per month, so depending on how much of the nerve was impinged, determines how long it might take for the nerve pain to resolve.
    In the meantime, you can try taking of the nerve pain related medications to see if they help to ease some of the symptoms, and keep doing the excercises and stretches to help keep the muscles strong.
  • I apreciate the comment. I am honestly so confused about all of this I wish I had councling that made sense and what you say does make sense. What sort of exersizes should I be doing I am not certain, I lost over 30 lbs this year
    I walk but it is getting harder and harder and especially in the hot weather. And I am in constant pain, every day. I don't stretch enough. I will make myself stretch every day. ,y mind is so caught up in everything. It makes me frustrated beyond comprehension.