Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm a newbie and Doc's explanation left me very uneasy

Bruin617BBruin617 Posts: 2
edited 06/24/2014 - 1:58 PM in Lower Back Pain
Hey there I know this is a long post so I thank you for reading it

First my name is Lex, I'll give you my physical info then the story of the injury, and finally my concerns.

I'm 22 6'6" about 160 - i'm a very lean athletic person, I compete in freestyle skiing and play semi professional football. I work a variety of labor intensive jobs ranging from construction to restaurants to coaching skiing.

I was in an MVA a few days before thanksgiving, i had minor soreness in my lumbar which was nothing new to me so I ignored it and just continued my routine. on Christmas I took a bad fall off a 40 ft ski jump, which made me pretty sore and I took a month off from skiing. I skied only a few more days this season due to my car seizing but finally got back up there on April 5th.. the spring conditions meant soft landings and I was feeling pretty comfortable, but because the jumps were so warm i caught the tail of a ski pretty bad and took a 30 footer onto my head. At that time i was coaching ultimate frisbee where I am usually running around all practice but had to tone it down. Then I had one of my players mess up on a throw and the frisbee came fast at my face and I ducked. that jerking duck put me on the ground in tears and I haven't been able to do anything physical since then. for two weeks i gave myself bed rest and still couldn't stand taller than 5'10ish

I went to the e.r and was put on the following:
Medrol 4mg tapering dose for 6 days (i took the generic) this really helped me get more upright (i can stand to 6'4 now but not back to a full 6'6)
Oxy 5-325 (15 ct.) told to take when needed but I don't really like to take them because they make me super useless and then I pass out and have really crazy dreams
Robaxin 500mg (30 with a refill) told to take as needed, but they kind of have the same effect as the oxy's

Today I finally had my MRI follow up with the doc. He told me that i had a disc that was dry and "sort of" herniated he said that the term herniated is a loose one which is where i started to wonder if he went to Devry for med school. he said I also had a disc that was bulging a tiny bit. He said I'd be fine with physical therapy and surgery isn't needed.. I picked up my films and report for my physical therapist friend to look at and I checked them out myself. the MRI report is totally contradictory to what the doctor told me and my back sounds a hell of a lot worse than he made it out to be.
the mri report came back saying:

MRI LUMBAR SPINE COMPARISON: Radiographs 06/04/2014.
TECHNIQUE: Exam performed on a 1.5 Tesla high-field MRI scanner. Sagittal T1, T2 and STIR, axial T1 and T2 sequences were obtained.
MRI LUMBAR SPINE FINDINGS: Stable straightened lumbar spine with loss of lordosis. There is moderate disc space narrowing at L5-S1 which is unchanged. Otherwise vertebral body heights and disc spaces are maintained. No compression deformities. There is mild retrolisthesis of L5. Otherwise no malalignment. No bone marrow signal abnormality. Conus medullaris terminates at T12-L1. Paraspinal soft tissues are normal.
L2-3: Mild disc bulging.
L3-4: Mild disc bulging.
L4-5: Small broad-based central disc protrusion with mild facet arthropathy.
L5-S1: There is a moderate-sized broad-based central and left paracentral disc protrusion with mild facet arthropathy. Otherwise normal.
L4-5 and L5-S1 disc herniations. No canal or neural foraminal stenosis.

Why was his description so different? it sounds like I'm pretty banged up and considering I have had hardly any progress after almost 2 months of resting. I have a constant slight pain, still get crippling pains just trying to get out of bed and cant sit upright for more than a few minutes without being in a lot of pain..
I'm a young dude, an athlete, a hard worker, but now I find myself unable to work. I'm down to my final $300 rent is due in a few days and I feel like this doctor is trying to send me down this path that isnt going to help anything and is just going to waste time. sure I'm young and I have plenty of time to explore noninvasive treatments.. but I'm also young, meaning I'm more broke than a panhandler and dont have the ability to not work without winding up homeless.