Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C7 disc bulge compressing nerve root.

I am new to the world of spinal/neck pain and wow it hurts bigtime .
my pain started the morning after received neck adjustment from chiropractor,i seen physio about a sore shoulder for about 5 visits and then physio asked a chiropractor in the office to look at me and decided to do some back adjustments and I have never had them before,then chiropractor decided on another visit to adjust my neck I never had done before either .

the next morning I could not get out of bed,but I managed to hobble around for a few days
.I went to hospital and they did a MRI on me and discovered I now have a severely bulged disc on my C7 and this has been going on now for 3wks and the pain is terrible,my left arm,elbow,forearm,and 2 numb fingers .
standing seems to be the best position for me,but I cant stand all day.

doctor is suggesting I get cortisone injection to relieve pain and I am scared this will just hide the real problem and worried this will cause more damage down the road.
just wondering what to do, and if this is a permanent problem I will have to deal with the rest of my life or will it heal on its own

thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you may have .
my family doctor has me on
naproxen and hydromorphone....

• Since you are here, welcome. Is the Dr who suggested a cortisone injection a surgeon? either a certified ortho or nuero-surgeon?
    My initial response is, if you are seeing a surgeon, they are following the normal conservative route of treatment. Many back injuries heal themselves and just need time for your body to work it's majic. The unfortunate ones, depending on the severity of the issue, will go through a protocol of procedures in hopes that one of the more conservative will help, some go straight to surgery.
    I started down this path with both my lumbar and cervical spine over 11 years ago and have had two cervical surgeries.
    There are various opinions on chiropractors, but with your bulging disc at C7 I wouldn't let one go near your neck.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • Sorry to hear about your neck. I have had several cervical epidurals. I only saw a chiropractor and an Ear, Nose and throat doctor for years. I had bad headaches, neck and shoulders would hurt so bad I would want to cry. Had sinus surgery which helped my sinuses but still had neck shoulder pain, muscles in shoulders horrible and headaches. Had been going to chiro for 5 years for this problem. Some days she wouldn't even be able to adjust my neck and every time I had heat with tens for 20 minutes. And when she tried and it wouldn't move, i can't tell you how bad that hurt. My ENT finally sent me to a pain management doctor. In my personal opinion I think that chiro hurt me bad. I was busy with 3 kids and didn't really think about going there for 5 years and I'm still like this? I obviously believe chiropractors can do good and would maybe go back to one for my lower back. But when my PD told me I had herniated discs in my neck, I personally will never have one touch my neck again. When I asked about having my neck adjusted my PD said NO. I still think about every time she tried to adjust me and it wouldn't work and she would try again, leaving there as fast as I could to get home to take ibuprofen. I was living on ibuprofen. I just wasn't thinking about myself. I thought going there WAS taking care of me. I guess I'm just agreeing with davrunner and would not let one near the neck area. Good luck to you.
    Herniated disc c4-7, cervical radiculopathy, DDD, herniated lumbar disc, Fibromyalgia, blood pressure, hypothyroidism, SCS since 10/10, RLS, sciatica, discogram, RFA lumbar, oodles of cervical epidurals, trigger point injections, physical therapy
  • I been having same kind of issues for the last 3 years and they do go through the steps, follow the steps trust me if at the end all else fails then surgery will be the only answer. I been unlucky enough that my issues did not heal on its own so next month i go in for c6-c7 disk replacement surgery
  • I had a pretty severe herniated disc at c6 c7 starting last october, I waited for my body to heal itself for a couple months before my wife started telling me that it wasn't going to happen and that I needed to go see a doctor. I finally went to a doctor and it actually took multiple doctors before I found one that even tried to help me. Thanks to all the abusers out there I had to go through 3 doctors before I could even get one to give me pain meds.
    I had the pain in my neck, it went across my left shoulder blade, down my tricep area, in my elbow and all my fingers tingled except for my pinky. I couldn't hold my head up, If I held my head up then I would get migraines that would bring me to my knees. I understand that pain you described and I hope I never have that again.
    I did the epidural injections, they do help a lot of people (I have seen it happen). Yes it does mask the pain but the reason for that is you are comprimising for your pain, if you get an injection and it takes the pain away then you have the chance to return to your normal life and you body has a greater chance of healing itself if you aren't constantly worried about moving the wrong way.
    They aren't really fun, but they aren't that bad. When I had mine it was about a 5 minute procedure, they don't drug you or sedate you in any way (my docotor didn't but offered). I drove myself so I didn't want any meds. They numb the area so you feel a little pinch for the numbing but then you feel some pressure from the epidural and then your done. They send you home. I had 2 of those and both of them were cake.
    I ended up getting a fusion, I was terrified that it would change my life permanently, but I was wrong. Getting my fusion was the best decision I have ever made in my life. I had it on March 19th and at 3 months my surgeon released me and told me I could do anything I felt like doing (including roller coasters). I feel great!
    Anyway, I have been there and done that! If you have any questions I would be glad to help you out.