Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Physical therapy making back pain worse

• I also forgot to mention that i started to get pain in my upper back and in my neck. The therapist said that its just from the stretching. But the pain in my upper back and in my neck came a few days after i stopped exercising so i don't think its from that.
  • Physical therapy is going to hurt, at least in the beginning. It is going to force you to use muscles that you don't normally use, and they are weak and it is supposed to hurt some. Those muscles need stretching, and then strengthening in order to properly support your spine.
    Take some advil or aleve if the pain is bad, use ice, or a heating pad, 15 minutes on and 30 off, and keep doing the excercises.
    The only way through this, is through it. You can't go around it , or avoid it, otherwise you won't see the benefit of the therapy.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,848
    sometimes takes a while.

Take a look at Physical Therapy
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • The therapist is saying that the exercise that I am doing shouldn't be affecting my back pain if I understood her correctly. But if doing the exercises is just really make my pain worse for a few weeks should I ask my doctor for pains pills for a few weeks. Because the pain that I get from the exercises is unbearable and I don't think I should get surgery for mild spinal stenosis I want to do the physical therapy
    instead identify why the exercise you are doing is causing more pain. If anything, I would hold off on that particular exercise until after you discuss this with your therapist and perhaps your doctor.

Dont even think surgery
  • Yeah me and my therapist found what exercise is causing the pain. She said its not an option to not do that specific exercise. She is also saying that it shouldn't be causing any pain or discomfort in my back. But I have to do the exercise so I feel like my only option is to get pain pills and do the exercises for a few weeks. Then I hope my back would get used the exercise and I will countine doing the exercise on my own with out the pain pills.
    Consult your doctor.

I dont know of any doctor that will prescribe narcotic pain pills for the sole purpose that would allow their patient to get through physical therapy. There are so many other options.
  • I don't see any other options. My physical therapy is supposed to strengthen my core. But the easiest exercise is causing pain. I think I am gonna go to the doctor this week and explain everything. I am not gonna go in and ask for pain pills though obviously. I am gonna tell him that I need an alternative because whenever I take soma now it doesn't affect my pain at all it feels the same the only difference is that I feel sedated. Before I started the physical therapy the soma was bringing my pain down. Also I have gotten some weird and awkward symptoms after my pain got worse. I don't know If my doctor needs to know when I go see him because there awkward. My left testiacle is feeling numb and has a slight pain and my toes on my bad foot are cold.
  • I was also thinking that my stenosis could of just of gotten worse because I started the physical therapy a month after it got prescribed the therapy. The doctor also said something about some injections but my dad said that he doesn't want me to get em so we didn't. Should I just get em and do my therapy. Because my pain is unbairable and I feel like every one around just thinks that I am trying to complain
  • I honestly just want to the physical therapy but I am just in to much pain. What other options do I have?
    edited 06/26/2014 - 10:35 AM
    even if it doesnt seem to be related.

Soma is a muscle relaxer, so that it isn't going to directly address your pain, but it will relax you overall, which many times is what is needed to reduce pain levels.

At your age, it would be hard to imagine that stenosis is playing a big role right now.. As far as other options:

• - Aqua Therapy
      - Traction
      - Ultra Sound
      - Tens Unit
      - Massage Therapy
      - Acupuncture
      - Trigger Point injections vs Steroid Spinal Injections
      - etc
    I have used all of these at one point and had good luck with them. Talk about this when you meet with your doctor.
    What you want to avoid if possible is any aggressive actions... All the conservative treatments are fine.
  • virus6hvvirus6h Posts: 21
    edited 06/26/2014 - 4:51 PM
    L1-2: i see no canal or foraminal stenosis.
    L2-3:Minimal spondylosis is seen. Neural foramina only minimally encroached. AP dimension of the thecal sac measures 13-14 mm.
    L3-4: Minimal spondylosis only mildly encroach on the neural foramina. AP dimension of thecal sac measures 11-12 mm at the midline.
    L4-5: Subtle spondylosis is seen. Ap dimension of thecal sac measures 9-10 mm at the midline. Lateral recesses are borderline stenotic. Mild bilateral ligamentum flava hypertrophy and facet osteoarthritis are seen. Neural foramina are mildly stenotic without compressing the exiting L4 nerve root sheaths.
    L5-S1: there is mild to moderate spondylosis and mild disc bulging. Neural foramina show mild to moderate encroachment without compressing the exiting L5 nerve root sheaths. AP dimension of the thecal sac measures 11-12 mm.
    1.There is mild canal stenosis at L4-5 due to a combination of mild congenital spinal stenosis with mild spondylosis and disc bulging, and ligamenta flava hypertrophy. The spinal canal at L3-4 and L5-S1 are low-normal. No canal narrowing at L1-2 or L2-3 is identified.
    2. The neural foramina from L2-3 -L4-5 show minimal mild encroachment. Nerual foramina at L5-S1 shows moderate encroachment. No compression of the exiting nerve root sheaths are seen at the foraminal level.
    3.No soft disc herniation is observed.

Heres my mri if thats any help to anyone

No one is qualified to provide you with any information regarding your MRI report. That needs to come from your doctor, during an office visit.

• And alright thanks dilauro. The injections seem like the right thing to do right now. My doctor didnt mention anything else on the mri expect the stenosis. I still wish i could get better medicine though. Becuase its really hard to do anything social or even relax at home.
  • It seems like tramadol would be the perfect medicine for me. But my dad is saying that i shouldn't just go in the the doctors and ask for tramadol at the age of 16 because it will look bad and he will take me less seriously. my dad also has a script for hydrocodone for migraines. I have taken some a few times with out him noticing for when i have to sit for a long time like taking a exam at school or movies and such. it helps so much. It didn't get rid of my back pain but it brought it down to a tolerable level. Do you think i should just schedule a doctors appointment and tell how my pain is getting worse and tell him all my new weird symptoms and just also ask for a alternative medicine?
  • when it is NOT prescribed to you is dangerous, and illegal . You can also get your father dismissed from being able to get pain medications by taking his.