Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cauda Equina! I thought it was sciatica..

PaulaLaReePPaulaLaRee Posts: 5
edited 06/26/2014 - 5:31 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Dear Memebers,
I am new here so I'm going to give you a little info on my condition and recovery. First of all it's been a long scary journey! The on set of what I thought was sciatica was in the second week of April while on vacation. The pain started in my back and tingled down the back of my leg, the next morning I felt clumsy walking and had pain all the way to my ankle. I found standing was more comfortable then sitting so I did a lot of walking and standing. After a week I went to the my family Doctor and they gave me muscle relaxers and pain meds which did very little for the pain. Now, I am back to work and thank goodness I do a lot of standing at work because I can barely sit at all without super pain. Driving to work I get shooting pain, that makes me want to pull over to stand up, thank goodness I'm not far from work. By week two and a half my right leg goes numb from the knee down, now I'm scared! I go to my doctor again they just want to give me more pain meds. A couple days later I go to ER as I am now concerned about the temperature difference in my numb leg verses my good leg. They do scans of my veins and find I have flow so they send me home. I go straight to my doctors office because I want answers, not more pain meds. My leg is numb and I'm starting to have a saddle block and everyone want to just give me pain meds and not find out what's going on with me. At my doctors office they order an MRI of my back and couple other things. Sure enough my MRI comes back with two bulging disks and I'm sent to a Neurosurgeon who could not see me for an additional two weeks. I call the neurosurgeon explain my situation and my concern that this numbness left untreated may become permanent or worse yet completely sadle block me where I can no long work. (This causes numbness in bladder) I get on the cancelation list and two days later they call me. I'm seen on a Wednesday and scheduled for surgery the following Monday. EDITED( to remove doctor name) sees the urgency needed to turn this condition around. I have surgery Monday go home that evening with Norco. Now, after 4 weeks I have regained some of my feeling in my right leg but still have half my foot and the achilles tendon is still numb. I'm going to physical therapy hoping that I will eventually regain all feeling. My strength in my right leg is much weaker then my left, I have nearly fallin down my stairs on a couple of occasions and have to always remember to now lead with my left foot when stepping down anywhere. When I stand for long periods of hour or so or do walking for awhile my right butt cheek tightens up and my calf. Fingers crossed this gets better with time. I also tire quicker then ever.
Has anyone else been through Cauda Equina and regained all function??? I would love to here from you!

Post edited to remove physician's name. Posting of medical facility names or specific physician or practice names is NOT permitted on Spine Health.
Post edited by Sandi- Please see the forum rules at the link below for more information.
You agree not to post specific physician names or health care facilities , devices or product names on Spine-Health.com.

• http://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-message-resource

You were very lucky in that your surgeon recognized your symptoms right away and proceeded with emergent surgery. That is the best option for a patient with Cauda Equina Syndrome. It can take some weeks and even months to see how much function and sensation you will regain. In the meantime, they may want to consider prescribing an ankle foot orthosis, to assist you in keeping your ankle and foot flexed when walking. If you are falling, then a walker to ensure stability or a 5 prong cane might be your best option, until you regain strength in the limbs.
    I have CES, twice now.....and unfortunately for me, some things have improved, others not.....
  • PaulaLaReePPaulaLaRee Posts: 5
    edited 06/27/2014 - 8:32 AM
    I have been having little crying spells feeling sorry for myself which pisses me off. The loss of my leg muscles and right foot gets to me at times. I know it's still possible to regain over time. I just wish I could do everything I did before wIthout pain and tightness. I feel like I'm just not the same. I push myself and find I'm in pain again. I need to find the right balance. I will not quite and will find a way to manage. How do you deal with your changes?
  • Thanks for the suggestion of brace as I am using a brace I purchased for my ankle support. It is good to know its recommended as I was concerned about continued use of it. Although, brace or falling down stairs, ill chose brace.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,342
    edited 06/27/2014 - 5:45 PM
    I won't tell you it was easy, it was difficult at times.....the worst was the day they came to measure me for wheelchairs......that one took the wind out of my sails for a few weeks.
    The damage to my bladder and bowels also was hugely difficult to deal with , but I wasn't given much of a choice and at the time of the first onset, there wasn't a whole lot of information regarding those issues and CES, so I found a spinal cord injury forum or two that helped me immensely with information and an online support group of fellow CES sufferers who helped me manage and learn to cope.