Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Four months post 2 level TLIF .... More nerve root blocks

Hi I posted the other day about continuing nerve pain down the right leg four months on.

My surgeon took me in yesterday for a nerve block to try and damp it down .... Thought I would be done with those! Turned out he did two ... at L4/L5 and also at S1 (always thought this was my worst spot). He said he would look at the nerves and flush the nerves through with dye and saline to see if the nerves were open and free and he would take it across to the left side too to get a full picture. He said just the pressure of putting the solution through sometimes was enough to free them up and that the cortisone would help any continuing inflammation and help the nerves move better. I should hear from him to see if that is exactly what he did and that will dispel that lingering worry that 'something is wrong'.
Spent a fairly uncomfortable evening once the local anaesthetic wore off but although I am aching a bit this morning, the sciatica already feels better.

This is still a drawn out recovery with the good days, better days and occasional real rubbish day where I still have to pay for whatever I did yesterday that was probably too much .... But life is slowly improving in small ways and I am more confident that I will make it through well. Things would be easier if I wasn't facing a knee replacement later in the year when the back surgeon gives the go ahead ... He said at least six months post-fusion. The knee is bone on bone and very painful and has stopped me walking as much as I intended ... What can you do but keep going!

• Aloha
    Must be the stars or something. I am feeling like I did before this fusion
    I just pray it all works out for you I was saddened to read that you were flared up
    Rest meditate
    Baby steps
    Take good care
    Fell 11ft 2007 numerous fractures broken arm, 4 head bleeds.
    Nerve blocks, tried stimulator, acupuncture, massage, numerous injections, nerve blocks. Ect. Vitamins
    2011 laminectomy, april 4. 2014 Fusion l5-S1. PLIF
  • Hi ... Thanks. Sunday morning and am thrilled to say I have a dull backache and very dull leg pain and that is all. I am praying this is the turning point and that it is the beginning of the end of all the pain. Aware I must be careful but am hopeful to start making more of doing the physio, walking a bit more and being able to delay my knee replacement until nearer the winter.
  • I'm 14 months post ALIF and I just want to give you some encouragement.
    Looking back to when I was 4 months, I felt that that was such a long time since the surgery. It's not and still early days. I hated being patient. I guess I just wanted to say hang in there and don't be hard on yourself.
    It must be a difficult time for you with your knee problems but hopefully by this time next year you will be a new woman.
    There will be no stopping you!
    Take care.
    DDD. Married,Mum of 2, Age 45: 2007 & 2008 L5/S1 Discectomy
    April 2013 L5/S1 Anterior Fusion
    & L4/L5 Artificial Disc Replacement
  • Have you tried Orthovisc knee injections? It is a gel that is injected each week for 3-4 weeks. I just had my second and can already tell a big difference. They have to be repeated twice a year, but I'm trying to postpone another surgery as long as possible.
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil
  • I'm happy to hear that the injection helped. Even though the recovery process has been difficult , you always manage to keep your head up!
    Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • I am glad to read that things are settling down for you.........and I am going to keep my fingers crossed it stays that way.
    Best healing wishes to you.
  • Hi ... well I had a letter back from my surgeon re the nerve blocks at L4/L5 and S2 (bilateral). The nerve at L4/L5 had no 'distal flow' when he tried to put dye and saline through. So, I suppose that nerve is still swollen and angry. The leg pain has settled to a degree, but with my back knee I walk with a bad gait and I think that is contributing. I went back for some physio this morning ... take the pain killers before I go. There seems to be a fine line with physio ... if I do all the exercises he wants I get pain build up and terrible soreness along the scars. If I am too afraid of doing the excersises I will not make progress in strengthening all the muscles and ligaments .... I am now booked in for September 22 for the knee replacement and see the back surgeon for a six months CT scan of my back on 27th August. He has refused to let me have the knee op any earlier than September ... I would love it behind me and begged him to let me have it sooner, but when I think about the realities of another op and all the post op pain and being home a lot again, I realise I will have to screw my courage to the mast and go ahead and I do know in my heart that I cannot face it just now. This is my year of repair and restriction and I hope with 2015 I will be a new woman and by the time I am sixty in 2016 I will be really ready to embrace life again.!!!
  • It does indeed appear that the nerve is still inflammed ....hopefully it will settle down sooner, rather than later.
    I hope that once your knee surgery is done, you do get to enjoy 2015 and 2016 with no further medical issues.