Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Swallowing problems post ACDF

Hi all -
I had a 3 level ACDF on 5/28. I still can only swallow liquids and some soft foods. I know others have posted about the "golf" ball feeling in their throat. That pretty much explains where I am at. It has been 4 weeks now and this is getting old. Anyone else have this problem? How long did it last? What did you do about it? I would love to know how this problem was handled by others. Thanks

ACDF 3 Level 5/28/2014
PLIF L4/L5/S1 4/2013

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 07/02/2014 - 4:53 PM
    Normally, as the swelling and tissue inflammation goes down, the swallowing issue improves. Have/are you drinking cold drinks, eating yogurt, smoothies, etc on and off? If things don't improve soon, I would contact your surgeon and talk to him about the ongoing swallowing problems.
  • I am having the same problem and my incision is still tender and get swollen through out the day. I keep an ice pack on it when I can. I was trying to eat some solid food but hurts to much. It has been 3 weeks for me since surgery on 8/05 . my surgeon did tell my daughter that he had a hard time getting in there and when I called his office the nurse said it was normal which seems to be their answer for everything. Well its not normal to me . how long is this gonna last?
  • at this stage of recovery. Mashed potatoes, rice, very soft meats, smoothies, yogurt, drink supplements such as ensure or similar products are best when there is still swelling.