Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to Forum, Need Help

JohnnyBoy68JJohnnyBoy68 Posts: 4
edited 06/30/2014 - 8:16 PM in Chronic Pain
Hello, thank you so much in advance for any advice.
I am 21 and have the severe misfortune of having drop foot caused by a nerve in my back after a mostly innocuous fall. Added to this EDIT luck is the fact that I have had problems in the past with abusing drugs and am in a constant state of pain or awaiting pain. This has now gone for 2 years and although I've made a lot of progress in my foot I am just now doing a clean up in my life. I am no longer using any illicit substances and am also trying to quit smoking. My old family doctor who was clueless during this time about how to treat me made me feel like EDIT about myself, like I was both a sissy complaining too much and a lying two-faced drug addict, prescribed 1 Tylenol 3 per day for this which originally was for my back pain but was extrapolated to include the drop foot pain. Let me clarify that although at first it was neuropathic pain exclusively it is no longer neuropathic in nature (I can tell because opiates work for it as a severe soreness but didn't work for the pins and needles type). I've got a new family doctor, am exercising more, no longer take sleep meds, and also am trying to quit smoking on top of no longer taking illicit substances. I've been taking Tylenol 1st and Tylenol 3s, exercising, doing physio exercises, using ice and heat pads, and all kinds of things for the pain. I walk on my tip toes, can lift my foot just enough to clear when I walk thank God. But it is so so painful to walk for any amount of time, to stand up, and I feel pathetic I mean I'm only 21 and my grandma could walk faster. I'm asking for advice because I've got a new family doctor and I don't want to EDIT this up. I'm going to be honest, after all how else could he help me, but for so long I've had to lie to get any help at all in the form of pain management. I'm so scarred this won't work out. This has been 2 awful awful years.

Post edited to remove inappropriate language...Liz spine-health moderator.. Please read the Forum rules