Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery help please

LorenzoLLorenzo Posts: 1
edited 07/01/2014 - 4:28 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Hello, I was trying to post this in the section I think was right but since I just created my account a minute ago it seems to not allow me to be logged in at any other section so I hope this location is fine because I really need some help with this question.

Well back in 2011 I was shot in the back of my head and they had to do brain surgery to fix me up. It went great and the surgeon really did a great job and I hope to reward him 1 day.
But the thing is, he did not replace the part of my skull he removed, I am sure it was because that location swelled up very huge and took a long time to go down. So replacing that part of the skull immediately after surgery would of resulted in alot of brain pressure.

But now its been about 3 years and the location is not swollen any longer and I wanted to have it covered up with some surgical implant, plastic skull or something.

I am worried as to having a dangerous procedure done again because I probable escaped death and can manage with having a small amount of my skull removed but I have been told by 1 doctor it would not be to bad and been told by the surgeon who first did the operation to leave it alone but I do want it replaced now because I am a young kid and very athletic.

Im wondering if my dura is good enough to endure any skull replacement, I dont want to have anyone open me up and find my dura is still damaged and it starts leaking fluid or something.

Im thinking this surgery would just involve the doctor making an incision in my head and just putting a new piece of skull in my head, no messing with the dura and definitely not the brain? Dangerous?

Please give me some thoughts on this because I know nothing about this stuff and have a big yes or no question to answer.