Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can't sleep!

Like so many of you I just can't sleep. Before I got hurt I was a great sleeper. I had a job that was extremely active and required me to get up at 5am every day and I also worked out regularly so by 10pm I was out like a light. After I got hurt the initial problem was that my pain was uncontrolled, my doctor would prescribe 12 Oxys a month and I'd have to ration them. It was awful. Now that I have a doctor that is actually managing my pain that's not the issue, it's merely that I've been in this cycle for years now of drugging myself to sleep. Only now I have such a tolerance that my meds don't knock me out (or even make me a little drowsy) anymore. With narcotics in my system it's not like I can pop a Tylenol pm and call it a night so very often I lay in bed all night until I have to leave for work at 6am. I only work part time so will sometimes take a nap which I know isn't helping, but I have no idea what else to do with myself in the middle of the afternoon when I'm in pain and I haven't slept all night and I'm supposed to be at home resting on doctors orders. Does anyone have any suggestions? Either for ways to help me sleep at night, or for activities that I can do to stay awake in the afternoons (I've tried movies, reading, knitting, but I always doze off. And it's hard to think of more involved activities bc it hurts to sit for a long time)

Any I put would be much appreciated! It's currently almost 3am and I just spent an hour watching Back surgery videos on YouTube! NOT helping my anxiety lol

• It's a mineral/herbal supplement that is naturally occurring in the body, and it helps you fall asleep.. There is no sedative, and no hang over feeling in the morning. L-typtophan is another one that also helps you fall asleep. L-tryptophan is found in turkey, and is what makes us all so sleepy after eating T-day dinner.
  • Sleep is often a big problem for me too. I have a prescribed sleeping pill, it helps me get to sleep but my pain often wakes me a few hours later. At the moment I'm going through a stage when I'm waking at 3am every morning..by 5am I'm thinking 'those' thoughts that I fight so hard to push from my mind so by 6am I'm a sobbing wreck...just in time for my kids to wake. I'm exhausted, dragging myself through the day but come midnight I'm struggling to get to sleep...ugh! We all know that sleep deprivation only increases our pain & makes our mood nose-dive. I wish I had the answer for both of us. ;-(

As a chronic pain sufferer & a stay at home Mum I reached an incredibly low point a couple of years ago. I realized that pain + boredom was a terrible combination. I had far too much time on my hands to obsess about my pain & my depression about my pain. I started by looking for hobbies that resembled the ones I had to quit due to my spine. For art I couldn't stand at an easel so I started art Journaling etc. which I can do a lot of laying on my side. My husband bought me an iPad & I spent time researching my new hobbies & joined different groups, entered 'swaps' etc. the social aspect really helped with my isolation. I even found the dearest friendship of my life online. Last summer my family travelled out to stay with her. It's changed my life for the better in so many ways!

There are many different crafts that you could get into. I was amazed to discover that there are blogs, YouTube, clubs for everything you can imagine. I spend as much time researching things as I do actually making anything. It's half the fun of it. With a little imagination most crafts can be adapted so you don't need to sit or stand still for any length of time (sitting is the worst for me). You say you like knitting...there are many fiber arts (felting, ornaments, dolls) I love watching YouTube (not spine vids!) it can be truly addictive researching new hobbies & everything can be as simple or as complex as you choose. Some people do the most beautiful, elaborate things...that alone was an education for me!

I look forward to hearing what you find. ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    While we are on narcotics and other medications, looking for a glass of wine to help us sleep is not an option. Besides, that would only be a quick nap. Over the years I have three actions that have helped me get to sleep and get a decent REM sleep.

• 1. Herbal Teas (not store purchased, but from specialty tea shops) that promote a relaxed feeling
      2. Reading - relaxing non action type of material, could even be technical manuals
      3. Relaxing/Mediating music (set for about 90 minutes, then off)
    These seem to work for me, even on my bad nights.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I think those are good tips Ron. I know I try to relax at the end of the night as best as I can. It does help a bit for me to get a little better sleep at night.
  • IamMonkeyDLuffyIIamMonkeyDLuffy Posts: 43
    edited 07/14/2014 - 12:17 AM
    This past few days, I have trouble sleeping too. No matter how comfortable I am, I can’t simply go to sleep. I would like to know some things and methods to do to have a good sleep too.
    "When do you think people die? When they are shot through the heart by the bullet of a pistol? No. When they are ravaged by an incurable disease? No. When they drink a soup made from a poisonous mushroom!? No! It’s when… they are forgotten."
  • Hi-wow do I feel your pain ( literally). I find that a cool ( temperature ) bedroom and " sleep sounds" from my iPad help. The ocean or rain are my favorite sounds. I also spray my pillow and sheets with a lavender scent and on occasion rub lavender oil on my neck and temples. You can find a ton of sounds on U tube that can run up to 12 hours. One of my friends said to plug in my iPad so it doesn't suck up my " data". Sorry computer illiterate. Even though I've heard falling asleep with the TV on isn't good-it's how I sleep with the TV on all night. I've taken Melatonin and it has worked for me. There are nights I go between sleeping on the couch to my bed and back again. On my left side, my right and my back. Sometimes with my feet up on the back of the couch. On heat and/or ice. Try different things or a combo. Switch it up. Wishing you sweet dreams and uninterrupted sleep. 3:00 am and I are good friends:(((
  • If you have nightmares on the melatonin stop taking it. That sometimes happen with melatonin. Try Benadryl too. My doctor said that was ok. As of now, it's not working for me because I think my pain meds are extended release hence I'm up at 2:23 am. Maybe asking for clonodine or ambien?