Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

[DDD] Disability or Surgery?

dsimmsddsimms Posts: 2
edited 07/02/2014 - 1:58 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I got a bad case of it....

I have been chronically depressed, and having chronic back pain for many years now. Last year I thought I would go back to work, after six months I just could not take the pain any more..the pain runs from my both sides of my lower back, and shoots all the way up to my shoulders, and it is not afraid to ever
let me know its there, and the pain is always there; The more active I become, the more pain that I am in, and now I am at a point of not really knowing what to do....

here is part of the xray report: progressive degenerative disopathy T10-T11 and T11-T12

1: I am getting ready to see an orthopedic doctor and see if I will have any
better options. Are there any surgery options? and who is to say after
surgery that something didnt go wrong, and I end up in even more pain?

2: or do I file disability; I have the credits, I am eligible, and I can only imagine
that is nothing more then a hoop-la bull with the govt.
and I am not even sure I would even get SSDI, it seems like DDD is fairly common....

What do you guys think?

Post edited to remove political content...Liz spine-health moderator.. Please read the Forum rules

• How old are you? A life on disability can be very long but only you know if working, retraining etc is possible. I'm from England so I don't really know but I've heard that dealing with disability can be a nightmare here in the USA.

I do know about pain & depression that goes with it. Keeping busy, having purpose, should never be underestimated. The more time you have to dwell on the pain the more magnified it becomes..ugh!

What have you tried so far in the way of procedures & therapy? I'd say try everything (that's not going to make your pain worse) before surgery. Something's work great for some people..you never know until you try. If surgery is necessary, it's necessary but as you say, there are always risks involved.

A good doctor will talk you through your reports, order more diagnostic tests if needed & lay out all of your options for you. You are always free to get second or third opinions if necessary. I live with chronic pain & I always feel better when I've got an action plan. Don't let this rule you & don't make any rushed decisions regarding disability. Closing that door can make depression even worse & 'if onlys can haunt you.

Good luck with your Ortho! ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • JAM661JJAM661 Posts: 121
    edited 07/12/2014 - 1:54 PM
    Getting disability is not easy to get. The process is long and most people who apply usually get denied twice requiring you to appeal twice till you finely go to a hearing judge in court. They do this to get people to give up. Having to go this long process and seeing a judge is the norm and not the exception for those who apply. You best bet also is to get a lawyer who specializes with SS disability and can help you though the process. The lawyers cannot charge you if you do not get disability so they will not take your case unless they feel you have a strong case. I think you also have to be disable and not working for a year before you can get any benefits. The money that most get is about $1100.00 a month. The biggest benefit is getting Medicare but that does not mean free healthcare since you are required to pay Part B and Part D unless you join a Medicare HMO. It does no harm to check it out. Call SS or go to there website to get more information.
This discussion has been closed.