Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Detethering with SCS implant combined surgery

Is there anyone who had a combined spine surgery done same time as the implant surgery or who has weakness and difficulty walking prior to SCS implant and have their weakness improved after the implant surgery. I was scheduled to have my SCS reimplanted this month(it was initially implanted last year but got infected and had to explant..) unfortunately I have worsening lower limb weakness and had an MRI which confirms cord tethering, syringohydromyelia and lipomyelengocele. Now the neurosurgeon want to do detethering surgery alone and not put the implant same time. I was hoping to have it has combined surgery to avoid another surgery soon. My question really is if anyone have experience a situation where they have combined another surgery with their implant surgery , still deciding whether to push the Doc to have the surgery together.

• RuthNavatoRuthNavato Posts: 1
    edited 07/02/2014 - 4:39 AM
    Hello Twinkie,

Link removed, solicitation not permitted.
    Post Edited by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team

• While it may be easier physically to have the surgeries combined into one, the detethering surgery should be done on it's own, to see what the outcome of that might be in regards to your symptoms before going ahead with implanting the device again.
    You don't really want to add anything into the area that is or could compromise the recovery from the detethering.
  • Thanks sandi considering that as the option
  • You are quite welcome. I hope that you get more relief from the detethering . Then you may not have to consider having the scs unit implanted after all. That would be great news if the detethering helped more of the symptoms and you didn't need to undergo another procedure.