Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 year post-op C4-6 ACDF - Success

I am exactly 1 year post-op after a two level ACDF with corpectomy. I have no complaints and it feels like the surgery has been a textbook success.
I used to visit this forum a lot prior to my surgery and I promised myself to give an update after 1 year. I was scared a lot prior to the surgery and had difficulty with my patience after the surgery as well. But finally, I am soooooo glad I had this surgery.

A huge bag fell on my head, there was a pop sound and I kind of collapsed immediately. MRI showed two prolapsed discs and Myelomalacia at C4-5. I was too scared to have the surgery and lived with pain for 1 year. When the symptoms started to worsen (I began to develop twitches in my arms), I had no option and went for the surgery on July 4, 2013. I woke up with no complaints except for a servere burning in my arms and that lasted for nearly 4-5 months. I visited my neuro surgeon at 10 days and 3 months post-op. At 3 months, he said, fusion was still not complete and it would take another 3 months. I have been on limited physical activity since my surgery. I only take a walk daily for half an hour and do some basic neck exercises in the morning. I only took Gabapentin for first 3 months to help with the burning in my hands and then weaned off slowly.

I understand everybody heals differently but I hope this helps anybody who is discouraged and scared of the surgery.

I don't know if i need to check on my fusion. May be I need to visit my neuro surgeon to just thank him for this wonderful surgery.

• I remember you and am glad to read your update. You sound so much happier and overall better.......it is good when patients come back and report great outcomes.......we need more of that to balance the picture of spine surgery.
    Congratulations! And I'll bet the surgeon would love a visit to see how you 're doing!