Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Erectile Dysfunction

sndg311ssndg311 Posts: 2
edited 07/05/2014 - 8:46 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had a L5-S1 fusion in February 3rd 2014. Never had any issues before this surgery but about 2 months post op I cannot gain a erection have no libido and sometimes my penis is cold and head retracts like a turtle. Will this go away in time or am I *EDITED *(no pun intended) Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Post edited by Sandi for inappropriate language. The use of foul language is not permitted on Spine Health.

• http://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-message-resource

Unfortunately, that is one of the risks and complications of undergoing spinal fusion. You may or may not have some return of sensation and muscular return but it may take some time if there is any improvement to come. Have you discussed this concern with your surgeon?
  • I have not spoken to him yet. But I will Thank you
  • get your sexual function back .I lost mine on operation number 2 I was only in my 30s and married ! .the fusion back in 2011 finish me off in more ways than one not only have I totally lost sexual function but I am in so much pain that even if I could have sex I would not want anyone around my lower body {I can't even stand clothing on my lower body let alone a person !! .} I am sorry for you losing you sexual function but to be honest with you I have just come out of hospital with bladder issues caused by the fusion and I am just glad that I can pee through it ! I met young men in hospital that have not just lost sexual function but have lost the use of their lower body and have to be catheterised for life I am still married and the sex part is not a problem {after 18 years it tend to fade any way !] .you will find your testosterone level will drop too mine is half of what the lower level should be .I have been offered injections and little blue pills but I refused them both .I am not bothered about sex at all now .and thankfully the wife is not either .I hope you can sort something out for yourself ,,the men I know with this problem have not done anything about it because when you levels drop you don't even think about sex anymore .its a strange feeling ..my main problem is intractable pain .I have no interest in sex at all .
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014