Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Acupuncture for pain relief - helpful or hurtful?

madkgmmadkg Posts: 17
edited 07/06/2014 - 7:13 PM in Alternative Treatments
I've been considering trying acupuncture to help relieve lower back pain. If anyone has tried it, can you please share your experience with it?

DDD, Lumbar Spinal Stenosis, SI Joint dysfunction, Grade 1 Spondylolisthesis at L4-L5
Facing possible Anterior and Posterior Lumbar Fusion Surgery at both L4/L5 and L5/S1
DDD, Lumbar Spinal Stenosis, SI Joint dysfunction, Grade 1 Spondylolisthesis at L4-L5
Facing possible Anterior and Posterior Lumbar Fusion Surgery at L4/L5 and L5/S1

• I have not tried acupuncture, but in this discussion a user, named Anna, was reporting a pain after acupuncture

But in today's episode of Dr. Oz, if you have watched he, he discussed 60 second back pain fixes. Some are known fixes, others were new to me. They are all described here.

May be they are useful to you.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,858
    over the years some with electrical stimulation and some without.

I always had very positive results from those treatments. My biggest problem was that they never lasted that long and it was necessary to have them on a regular basis to get the maximum out of them.

I started with 2 times a week, and at $85 not covered by insurance was costly. I would have good results the day of (in fact, almost euphoric results the first 24 hours) and it would last a couple of days. But then it would wear off. So as long as I was going every couple of days, I was ok. But when I missed a week, it was like starting at ground zero again.

But I always encourage people to give it a try
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I am having accupunture 2 times a week..... for the past 7 weeks. yes it is helping me , I am post op from a fusion. Before my fusion it didn't help at all I was in agony.....but then nothing helped..My leg pain has gone and my burning foot is no more yay !oh I hope I don't jinx myself lol.... As Ron said it is expensive @ $105 a pop... but well worth it to me if helps with my recovery, Also I am doing aqua therapy.

Tlif L5S1 fusion on the 14th Jan 2014
  • True, I wish they lasted little longer.
  • I had the above surgery on 12/4/14. I was feeling much better by the 4th week, and then my muscle spasms and nerve pain came right back, with a vengeance. I started physical therapy, which only made me feel so bad, I could not even walk.
    I was told by my doctor's assistant to stop therapy for at least one month. Right now, I am going for Biofeedback, and for a month high quantities of vitamines. Starting next week I will also go for Acupunture and massage. I hope something works!!
  • caroline2caroline2 Posts: 92
    edited 08/02/2015 - 12:55 PM
    I have done it off and on for some years, we have two schools in our area and they offer student work with teacher assisting them....this is very affordable.

After hip replacement in 2010, I ended up with a mess with back and knee and foot/ankle. Spinal stenosis set it. I found a "holistic" rheumy in my town and she saved me so much with acupuncture, mesotherapy injections (homeopathic solutions) and some prolo work. She is rare but more MD's are working with these modalities....slowly but they are. For a while she was able to get Medicare to help but that didn't last long enough. Medicare is so clamping down.

If one can afford to be consistent and doing other joint supplements, beats damaging drugs...that's how I see it for sure.ee

Warning: Before taking any supplement discuss it with your doctor for their approval
    Never take any supplement until you have your doctors approval
    Bodywide OA, Fibro and complications from Hip Replacement.