Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower back pain question

I will be making a doctor's appointment soon if this doesn't subside, but it is always nice to find out some additional information, and suggestions in the meantime. I am 30 years old, in great shape and have had no significant back issues during my life so far until now.

This past Sunday, the 6th, I was working out at the gym. I was on my 3rd set workload of about 260lbs on barbell squat and my body was feeling great. This is a weight I typically have no problem with. The first rep went without a hitch, but at the bottom of the 2nd rep I felt a sharp, intense pain in my upper glute/lower back area that completely froze my body and I had to bail out of the lift. It's hard to remember, but I want to say the initial pain came more from the left side. Aside from my bruised ego, I was in some pretty massive physical pain for the next 45 minutes while I used various stretches to get the area to stop burning, to the point where I could at least get up and walk out of the facility under my own power. The rest of that day getting around wasn't too terrible, but I had a lingering dull ache. Monday I was pretty sore, with occasional spikes of severe pain when walking around or moving around while lying down. Tuesday seemed to be the day I was getting over the hump and on my way to recovery, but Tuesday also happened to be my most active day since the injury Today, the 9th, I'm more sore than ever, and the intense nerve spike pain seems to be much more frequent when moving around.

I guess my main question is, I keep reading about sciatica when researching my symptoms, but this pain is not down my glute and legs, but completely at the area where the top of my glutes meet my lower back. That's where the intense "I want to shriek" pain comes from. I know only a doctor will be able to tell me for sure, but does this sound like a herniated disc by chance? I know when the injury originally happened, I definitely did not have a great feeling about it. I was optimistic that rest might make it go away, but I had a feeling deep down that this was something a bit more serious. Don't let my negative opinion sway your judgment though, I'm hoping maybe someone has an experience with similar pain that wasn't serious. I'm an knowledgeable fitness enthusiast and for now I'm just avoiding any exercises that might aggravate the area.

Thank you for any help, and hopefully reading my ramble wasn't as painful as my back is right now ;-)