Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Facet nerve block vs RFA

64pvolvo1800664pvolvo1800 Posts: 250
edited 07/14/2014 - 6:11 AM in Spinal Injections
Well, I had my second round of cervical facet blocks yesterday and we went ahead and scheduled the RFA C3-6 for the 25th in two weeks. My pain doc has decided to hang up his insurance days and go self pay only after aug 1. On top of that, he is no longer going to prescribe narcotics at all.. Too much liability and stress on the staff from drug seeking people he says.
He is referring the responsible patients to someone and has given two months of meds to buffer the transition.
I'm umm end because I've been seeing him for several years but I understand. I'm interviewing the referrals next. I'm not looking for a pill mill but a responsible pain manager. Truth is I will likely still use him and pay cash and look for reimbursements from my insurance.
I see his side as I've been on the other side of drug seeking myself many years ago. My honesty and recovery have made this relationship work. I'm sure there is another one out there.

• in the event that the referrals don't work out.

Good luck with the RFA. I hope that it gives you some relief from the pain.
  • I was really bummed when the preferred practice he wanted me to see was a pain clinic and my insurance quit covering them two years ago. So, I regrouped and started looking for spine or physical medicine AND pain mgmt practices on his list.
    Today I had a low back esi and discussed the issue with him. He echoed my next choice of dr and I called them and explained my limitation and concerns. They confirmed with my carrier and sent me paperwork for all drs that have seen me in three years and will pull my records together before accepting my case. I was certain to tell them three surgeons, one GP, and my pain and wellness guy who referred me all know of my spine AND my addiction and recovery, and ONLY the one provides me with meds exclusively.
    Because they are screening me first I have a good feel that they are not just a pill mill. I need a dr well versed in spine, pain mgmt, AND addiction just to be able to share my experience and concerns and work an honest program of recovery and pain mgmt simultaneously.

The 25th is my RFA but in the meantime they will call for my initial consult. Ill keep you posted.

Thank you again.
  • Friday I will have my RFA C3-6 and I am getting more anxious as the hours tick away. I have my girlfriend lined up to take me since my wife has an appointment in the morning. Se has taken me to the nerve blocks and those went pretty quick but can anyone tell me how long the RFA will take? I have the Xanax sublingual to take with me but how long will that last? How long should it be before the burning internally turns to relief? Something strange happened this last nerve block episode. I have a shooting and constant tingling down my left shoulder and arm depending on my position. I'm not sure if its coincidence or the neck is just getting worse. And, will the RFA stop that?
    Thanks in advance
  • how long the procedure will take. Your pm doctor should discuss that with you prior to your having it done. Didn't the office give you directions on when to take the xanax prior to the procedure? If not, you may want to call them before your appointment to go over your questions.
  • It will take what it takes, was just curious if it was much more involved that the nerve blocks.
    The Xanax is sublingual and I think they said I'd take it there.
    I've had a rough week, with my left nek shoulder and are in constant nagging pain, shooting through me when I raise my hea and constant tingling almost to the point of the arm going to sleep. All while I am at work or driving or fill in the blank. I sure hope this helps.
    Ill let you know how it goes.
  • How did your RF go? I am scheduled an RF on Aug 11 and have no idea how long the treatment lasts or how long it will take to do it.
  • So far there's just some burning but I am still numb to a degree. That, and that sublingual Xanax has me loopy. Ill keep you posted.
  • When the numbness wears off, make sure to keep the ice bags handy for a few days.