Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My update - 4wks post op - L5/S1 Microdiscectomy

It's now been 4 weeks since my operation. Generally, I think my recovery is going well. I get occasional twinges of sciatic pain, but usually only for a few seconds, whereas it was constant before the op, so I can cope with it now. I've been in a bit of discomfort with an achy back a few times, but I hear/read this is expected as I try & get back into a routine of doing things & moving around more.

I'm slowly trying to cut down my pain relief, with guidance from my GP. I've had trouble sleeping this week, which I think might be due to my body adjusting to less medication (tramadol), if it continues I'll talk to my GP about it. At the moment I can get away with little naps throughout the day to compensate not sleeping at night. I'm hoping it'll settle down & I can be getting good nights sleep before returning to work.

I saw my GP on Monday, and he signed me off work for another three weeks. When I return to see him, if all is going to plan, I'll be getting a note for a phased return. I also asked him to refer me to physio, so I can get some guidance on my exercises and have someone to monitor my progress. I went for my first session this afternoon.

I feel quite weak & very unfit at the moment, guessing that comes from about a year of very low to no exercise. It's so bad that I'm dreading the 4 flights of stairs into work every shift, but hopefully I can start to improve on that soon.

I'm looking forward to being given the go ahead to exercise, not sure how long I have to wait yet though. I just want to get back to the gym, cycling & starting to run, and I really hope I'm ok to start playing football again in the future.

Sorry this is so long & if you made it this far, thanks for reading.
L5/S1 Microdiscectomy on 13th June 2014 in London, Uk.