Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Snap in Neck -Pain, numbness in both hands

Last September, I was turning a patient and heard a snap behind my ears. No pain. Later in the shift my hands started to feel a bit funny. Some tingling, numbness and about 8 hrs later I noticed some pain with the numbness (never understood numbness and pain in one symptom but now I understand that feeling).

Had an MRI done:
RESULTS: Vertebral bodies are of normal height, density and well aligned with normal marrow signal. There is mild desiccation C5-6 intervertebral disc. Remaining discs are of normal height and signal.
C2-3 disc level is unremarkable.
C3-4 disc level is unremarkable.
C4-5 disc level is unremarkable.
C5-6 disc level demonstrates spondylosis most prominent centrally. There is slight asymmetric right sided facet joint arthropathy. There is no canal stenosis or significant neural foraminal compromise.
C6-7 disc level demonstrates diffuse spondylosis without canal stenosis or significant neural foraminal compromise.
C7-T1 disc level is unremarkable.
Cervical cord is normal in course and caliber and signal. Visualized hindbrain is unremarkable. The paraspinal soft tissues are unremarkable.

1. Mild desiccation C5-6 intervertebral disc with diffuse spondylosis, most prominent centrally. There is also asymmetric right sided facet joint arthropathy. There is no canal stenosis or significant neural foraminal compromise.
2. Mild disc desiccation C6-7 intervertebral disc with diffuse spondylosis. There is no canal stenosis or neural foraminal compromise.

I have since had an EMG study done, a R Carpel Tunnel release (helped a bit). A second EMG study with L carpal release suggested (not done yet). I have had a serious decreasing ability to form a fist or grip without horrible pain and stiffness. This problem is now 10 months since the injury date. Never missed a day from work until carpal surgery in March and have not been back to work because I cannot grip or hold onto anything without terrible pain. The problem with gripping has been a gradual problem since last September. It has now become a serious issue in both hands.

In actuality, making a L hand fist is now causing me such pain that it is affecting my ability to write, drive and do my ADLs. I can't grip to make a ponytail in my hair without pain. This problem is getting serious but the WCB I am dealing with does not want to do anything. I can't take any pain medications without side effects so I am living with this issue. The problems, however is getting worse, not better despite physical therapy on both the hands and neck. Motrin gives me a bit of relief but also upsets my stomach.

One more condition to report - I loose my arterial blood flow to both hands when the physical therapist moves my arms in certain positions. I wake up at night with numbness and pain from my forearms to the tips of my fingers. I experience horrible throbbing along the pinky finger to the forearm many times a day.

I don't have a clue what could be going on and my neurologist (who I have seen once), is not doing anything except continuing PT. I need to get back to work.

The only medication I am on is Nexium for GERD. No other medical conditions and I am a 55 year old female. CBC. BMP are both normal, Sed Rate normal.

Any suggestions?