Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi, newbie here, many questions!

Hello everyone!

I have several things wrong with my spine,,,or I would not be here,,

Scoliosis,,,,,,was dx with chairi malformation with a srynx starting at C-6 to T-2 by another name, Syringomyelia,
Spinal stinosis throughout the C-spine into the T-spine,,,,,,the srynx is 9 mm, keep in mind the spinal cord is about 11 mm, easy math there, yes it is choking my spinal cord, have paralysis coming and going in many areas, and "dead" zones that some go some have not left, so yes it is progressing....:(

Onto the lumbar, L 1&2, big bulging there, L 4&5, bulging, flattened, with annual tear..very painful more often lately, will see spine doc after the cervical surgery is done and praying it goes well...

Scheduled for surgery August 1 st next month, 3 weeks from today.....C 3&4,C 4&5, C 5&6, spinal fusion and all the goodies....the hope the decompression will take pressure off the srynx would be the best outcome, any damage can not be reversed.

Have some dysphasia going on to.

Meds,,,,,many,,but highly sensitive to most...

Spasms that include T spine rib pain, get cort injections for those, but the last time I got them in May this year, the doctor used the wrong size needle and punctured my right lung, ended up in ER had lung tap, scary ordeal, almost died that day,,thank you ER doctor...

Just got cleared for surgery,,,,ready for some relief from the 24/7 pain,,,it has gotten worse..

Background, engineering, bridges dams and high rises,

Did a daily pain journal for about a yr, noticed when ever the barometric pressure hit 30.00 and up, the pain went up according the the barometric pressure at the time,,,and when it dropped to say 29.78 or anything under 30.00, I would pass out from the pain relief,,but it has progressed so much that it really does not matter what the barometric pressure is, it just hurts all the time...

But for those of you with a spinal condition, do keep an eye on it, the barometric pressure, I take my pain meds according to it, try to med up as it goes up or I know I will be in trouble and unable to get it under control at all..

Other than that, the most relief I ever got was a epidural done at a medical university,,great relief, but the following ones not only no relief, not done right so have not had one since...

Cortisone injections directly into the spasms have helped the most, but have to get them monthly in order to get consistent relief..

Legs arm go numb at any time, stays for hours weeks or days, teeth have been numb for a yr now..very annoying..

I am 51, female, always had a active lifestyle, loved anything out doors, taught skiing for 18 yrs every winter.

Now the past 2 yrs have been lucky to have a day not in bed..has got so bad have to have the surgery or will be a quad for sure...so..will be a quad from the srynx one day, or the surgery, or the C 4&5 if not done soon.

No real options.....talked to doc about the pro disc, he said if not so many verts involved would be good, but to complicated and have to do the fusions :(

He will do it from the front..he is about the best at this, teaches at UCSF, and is an expert on my condition and tumors, in the past 14 yrs he is the only Dr who has done more research on my conditions than any of them..I trust what he is going to do, and his track record is sterling, so I do know I am in the best of care, even my GP says so..

Also, another thing that has helped immensely, I try to see a OMM doc at least 1 time a month,,she does small movements of my spine and keeps thing in line so to say, but when I leave her office, I am 100% pain free, can last an hour or weeks depending on how much she can get my bones to move, but the OMM doc I highly recommend to anyone with any back problems..do homework, not just any of them will do,,,look at the reviews,,I got lucky, mine is one of the best and most sought after in the bay area!

Ok that's my horrid story not including the fall 2 weeks ago and more broken ribs/hand/pelvic I am a mess :(

Any thoughts on what to expect from the surgery?? I have had 223 surgeries for several things, spiral fracture of left leg was main one and foot,,but this one scares me to death,,,mostly because of the srynx involvement ,,any thoughts?

Thank you in advance, and nice to meet everyone,,I have been a lurker mostly....