Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How about these wonderful Neck Braces (just had C3C4 Fusion)

How about these wonderful Neck Braces (just had C3C4 Fusion), I am told (by surgical team) the neck brace needs to be worn as a reminder of the risks, stabilization when sleeping and walking, not while driving. Its supposed to be my new best friend>>> I am having a hard to me seeing that happening,,,, but its what they recommend, and I do not take that lightly,,,,, Anyone having any helpful ideas, practical advice on how to manage these braces and make them more friendly,,,,,,,, especially...... they would be welcome ...thanks dennis

• Hi there. Don't have the neck brace just yet but I'm going in for a revision of my c5/6 6/7 fusion done in April - apparently a few of the screws are a bit too long and they are also going to fuse 4/5 while they are in there. I'm told to expect the brace this time around (I didn't have one after the April surgery) and already dreading it. Had a soft brace after a discectomy in 2011 and it made me feel like a bad episode of the Brady Bunch! Hang in there. It's all in the name of feeling better which is the ultimate goal for us all.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    The brace will become the new normal. Oh how I hated that brace. In the summer it gets sweaty and smells horrible, which by the way i would line the back of it with a odor eater foot pad, that seemed to help the smell. Just make sure it doesnt change the way the brace fits. Keep telling yourself only 6 weeks hopefully. You will get used to it
  • Coming along, Two Weeks post surgical...have not burned it yet! Or driven over it in the driveway with the SUV...LOL
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    This is a picture of the Philadelphia Hard cervical collar. I had to wear those after each of my ACDFs. 6 Weeks 24x7. It was not fun... But in the end, I think I had a more stable neck

Many doctors today do not believe in those hard collars, some prefer the soft collars and some do not want their patients wearing any type of collar.

I cant say which is the best method. My ACDF's were done in the 1990's and early 2000's, so I dont know how advanced the surgery has come since then.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Everyone of my surgeries involved that horrible brace, Or should I say 4 out of 5 . Oh how I hated that thing
  • solarsoulsssolarsouls Posts: 8
    edited 08/31/2014 - 6:38 AM
    I am week four after my second C3 C4 Spinal Decompression/Fusion Procedure. The Neck Brace has become a useful and comfortable old friend when sleeping at night. I have two more weeks to go.

Compared to the fact that I was facing life as a quadriplegic for how many more years I do not know, the discomfort, inconvenience of "the Neck Brace" is nothing!

Gratitude for the Surgeons Intervention and my successful recovery (which is taking more time in PT than I had hoped for) but I am walking, and talking, feeding myself, dressing,,, bathing,, even driving now. I am full or gratitude and awed by the Divine's Good Grace's.

Of what could I complain? dennis (in gratitude)!