Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How to Work Out with Spondylosis?

I'm a female with grade 1 lumbar spondylosis, spondylolthesis, and 2 herniated discs. This causes chronic pain and muscle spasms. The pain is generally mild, all things considered, and I can go through day to day life without pain medication for the most part (sometimes needing a large dose of ibuprofen to sleep.)

The problem happens when I try to exercise. And I HAVE to exercise and lose weight, because I am only mildly overweight (5"3, 148 lbs), I also have GERD and LPR and every single pound gained makes the acid reflux symptoms worsen.

The problem is that nearly every type of workout I try causes awful pain except for swimming, but the nearest gym that has a pool is almost an hour away.

Jogging hurts. Recumbent biking can only be done sparingly, and I've rapidly plateaued on it already. Lifting weights aggravates my shoulders. I can only do the lowest of low impact body exercises, and it just isn't enough to burn calories.

My diet has already been modified to be fairly low calorie and GERD-friendly (sugar is rare, tofu and beans with occasional chicken for protein, etc.) so that aspect shouldn't be holding me back this much.

I also do my physical therapy stretches religiously, every day, and am very careful to stretch and warmup before attempting anything. The pain will still come out of nowhere and cause me to be curled up in a ball crying from pain as my muscles all down the right side randomly lock up and spasm.

What do I do? Has anyone else been able to lose weight while having this problem, and if so how?

• sandisandi Posts: 6,342
    edited 07/12/2014 - 4:44 PM
    and programs that will allow you to excercise while minimizing the risks of damaging your spine further. Running is something that is generally a no no if you have a herniated disc, since the constant impact of running can further the risk of more damage.