Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Swelling after three level lumbar fusion

Hi guys,

18 months ago I had a three level fusion from S1 to L3/4 after three years of trying every possible alternative, following a lifting injury. The surgery went really well and I returned to work after three months without too many dramas and little discomfort. Obviously I have restricted movement but things have been much better than before the surgery. My only issue has been quite a lot of swelling above and a little below where the hardware went in. I discussed this with my surgeon 3 months ago and he said to monitor it and that he could always take the screws and rods out if necessary, but at that stage I should just leave it and monitor the situation.

Over the past three months it has become a little more uncomfortable and anti-inflammatories have had no effect on it. While I would still say the surgery was well worthwhile, I am getting frustrated with the way that this swelling is starting to negatively impact on me and I have recently started to get the odd pins and needles going down my right shin. It is getting harder to keep going to work due to the discomfort but it is also winter here in Oz and I wonder if that has anything to do with the discomfort?

I have been having physio on it without much success and am going to make arrangements to see the surgeon again but wondered if anyone had had something similar and if so, did it resolve it by having the metalwork taken out?

I know that people are going through much worse than me and I shouldn't moan because if my pain level before the op was a 7 it is now only occasionally a 2 or 3 but I can feel that this is starting to get me (and my family) down so any help or advice would really be appreciated. Thanks.