Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2nd cervical fusion

thuntjrtthuntjr Posts: 2
edited 07/13/2014 - 3:58 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
2 years ago I had a cervical fusion to c5 & c6.Earlier this year I started having extreme neck pain that would trigger severe migraine headaches. The pain would radiate down my shoulders and upper arm. Mostly on my left side but some on the right.
My neurosurgeon wasn't sure the problem would require surgery but my workers comp insurance sent me to another doctor. This doctor took 1 look at the cat scan and showed me what was wrong. The fusion I had has a plastic implant and there is no pone formation around it. In short the fusion is moving so my only recourse is to have a 2nd surgery to add more screws to stabilize what has already been done. Has anyone else experienced this? What should I expect? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• I had a cervical fusion in 2009. It was the worst experience of my life. A 2 hour surgery lasted 8 hours. I came out of surgery on a ventilator, in a coma and spinal meningitis. The surgery did not help at all, in fact my pain is worse and the disks below the fusion are now degenerting. I have limited ROM to the point I can't drive anymore. If I knew how it would turn out, I would have not had the surgery.
  • I'm so sorry to hear about your implant slippage. I hope you can go and get a second and third opinions. If instability is the problem, I would question the hardware solution going forward. Good luck!