Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

21 Year old with Microdiscectomy

Huntermoore288HHuntermoore288 Posts: 3
edited 07/14/2014 - 10:40 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm three months post-op from a microdiscectomy on L5-S1 and still dealing with fairly severe nerve pain. I'm a competitive surfer and student at UCLA and at this point want more than anything to get back in the water surfing. My pain after my surgery seems to be a bit more manageable but has become different and a bit more irritating. Before the surgery the pain was much more shooting/throbbing where as now it is a burning/numb type of pain primarily in my right buttock (piriformis) and hamstring. I mostly get a burning pain in the leg when I'm sitting down or doing basically anything other than walking. My surgeon tells me that the nerve pain can take quite a while to heal and thinks I'm having some residual neuropathy and prescribed me neurontin to help.

The problem here is that I feel as if I may have had a reherniation or another issue since the leg pain has still not left me yet, even though I have done nothing traumatic that would have triggered that. I went to another orthopedic clinic here in San Diego because I'm home interning for the summer, and they told me to come back in 2 months because apparently it was two early for another MRI and gave me more painkillers. I'm doing my physical therapy everyday and I honestly don't like having to take pain killers everyday to make it through work at my internship and my other daily activities.

That being said does anyone know or have experience with pain and intervention after a microdiscectomy? Is there someway I could get another steroid epidural in the mean time to help? Or how soon could I get another microdiscectomy if mine is reherniated? Im not making any progress healing in the right direction and I just am having trouble trying to keep going to physical therapy and keep trying when I could potentially have a reherniation of the disc?

Please let me know if anyone has any experience or expertise on this.

Post edited to remove name of specific medical facility. by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team