Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tight hamstrings and calfs after discetomy

Hello
I am 6 weeks post op of a discetomy and I am finding my hamstrings and calfs to be really tight, has anyone experienced this?
advertisement

Comments

• Yes, you may experience tight hamstrings and calf muscles post op. You can alleviate them by some simple stretches while sitting in your chair and sometimes topical muscle creams also help to ease some of the tightness.
    If that doesn't help your doctor may order some muscle relaxers to help.
  • YES! I had a microdiscectomy almost 8 weeks ago and my calf, hamstrings and glutes are SUPER tight on the side that was affected by the sciatic pain. I am stretching 3 x a day, and going for weekly massages to try to get the knots to dissipate. On a bad day I take a muscle relaxer at night to help.
  • I AM HAVING THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!

I am nearly 6 months post op on L5S1 microdisectomy and I been told to do these hamstring stretches and I think it is helping, still very tight and sore my calves
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,060
    and it is so very important to do the approved stretches to prevent that condition from worsening.

I am the product of not doing the proper stretches for my hamstrings or calves. I should have started that way back right after my first lumbar surgery in 1978. Instead, I know deal with hamstrings that do not move and calves that will cramp up if I look at them in the wrong way.

That alone has been the cause of many 'additional' problems I have had over the years. In fact right now, I am dealing with an inflamed Achilles tendon because of a stretch I did when I shouldn't have.

My personal belief is that if you have hamstrings that are flexible and calves that are the same, you can avoid other flareups

If not, I should youtube myself when I have a calf cramp in the middle of the night. I try to jump out of bed, but then my hamstring starts to cramp up, so I wind up trying to rub everything away. Not a pretty sight (now me jumping out of bed by itself is NOT a pretty site)
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement