Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scared for spine surgery at23 yrs old

I'm 23 yrs old and have severe scoliosis. Just found out my spine is 66 degrees top right and 33 degrees bottom left! I'm scared I'll die or be paralyized from surgery! Will I be ok ? Is there anyone on here that has 66degree curve or worse? Let me know ur story!? Help?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 07/15/2014 - 9:22 PM
    I suggest you discuss your fears with your surgeon, maybe they can put your mind at rest, there are members on the forum who have been through similar surgeries and you can also read about their experiences.
    Even the simplest procedures has risks but the are rare.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Ashley,

I too am 23 years old and I just had a 2 level spinal fusion. I do not have the same thing... I had multiple slipped discs and one pinching my sciatica. I was.... petrified. Hell, I still am lol but I can tell you.. the initial stage of surgery were awful (just being honest). Not painful, not by the doctor or nurses....just the anxiety. I was being brought in the operation room and I remember thinking "ehhhhh, maybbbeee its not too late to say I changed my mind!" haha...but it was legit like I blinked my eyes and it was over. They put me to sleep... I woke up not remembering anything. I was extremely drowsy and irritable... but I felt relieved. I felt relieved I had finally made the first step to a less painful life. I am now 3 1/2 months post op. Im not going to lie to you, I still experience pain and I wonder daily if this has worked. But, I do see some changes and I'm trying to be positive. I was BEYOND iffy when originally discussing surgery... well, I didn't know what it would bring. But, although I still experienc pain... its a different pain. I get painful spasms now, spasms are a sign of healing muscle. Does it suck? of course. Do I question if theyre just saying what I want to hear? every day. But if I had to go back and do it all over again- I would. Good luck girl! Try to stay positive xo
  • Ashley - I had my first fusion at 29yrs old - with a 2 yr old in my care and I was terrified. I think the hardest part was the 'what if' - but that's completely understandable! I found that the recovery was painful, and alittle scary because after all - it's your back! But over time, I'd say about 6months before I felt fairly 'normal' again, the pain I had BEFORE surgery was far worse than afterwards, and I never regretted doing it. At the time, the dr's took some of the bone from my pelvis to graft to the fusion, and honestly the hip hurt more than my back lol. I felt alittle wobbly, alittle afraid to do too much, but if you follow dr's orders, take your exercise regime seriously and slowly, you're going to (hopefully) find that you are stronger, less afraid of actually hurting yourself, and yes, the pain is enormously relieved! Wishing you the best of luck!!