Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

laminectomy/discectomy at L5-S1

john_in_painjjohn_in_pain Posts: 1
edited 07/16/2014 - 1:38 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hello there,
there has been 2,5 months, since I had a laminectomy/discectomy at l5-s1 and I'm still in constant pain. The thing that worries me is that the leg pain is still there.
Three weeks ago my doctor said that there might be an inflammation in the nerve root, caused by the surgery, prescribed some medications and ensured me that there is nothing to worry about, cause the lamina that was pinching the nerve is gone. Took the whole box of them and nothing changed.
Paradoxically the only thing that eases my pain is alcohol!
I have also gained weight which I am sure that makes the situation worse.
Must return to work in a week, but it seems impossible for now.
Tried to start long walks but couldn't stay up for long time.
Anyone with the same experiences? Should I visit another doctor, or stick with the one that performed the surgery?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions-advices..
advertisement

Comments

• Hello,

My name is Gašper and i am writing from Slovenia... I had the same surgery two months ago, and i have the same leg pain since then, my doctor also told me that it could be inflammation, i took pills for one month and id didn't get any better, they also did blood tests to find out if there is inflammation and it came back negative.Now my doctor said that it could be two things first is that it could be nothing and the pain will go away and second that the disc reherniated. I really dont have any sugestions my surgeon put me on a second round of PT and after that if it doesnt get any better we will MRI to see if there is new hernia.
  • Hi there! I'm in the same boat. It's been 6.5 weeks since my surgery (same one) and although I was totally pain free for 5 weeks, now the pain in my leg has returned, though it is less than it was before (I can still function, where before I was basically confined to being on my back or stomach on the couch.)

The surgeon is repeating an MRI for me next week because the steroid pack he prescribed last week didn't help. I hope it's not a reherniation, but I know there's a fair chance that it is. I hope you get some answers. I'd start with your surgeon, but if you truly feel like he isn't listening, don't be afraid to switch doctors.
    Christina
    Left leg radiculopathy/sciatic pain
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - May 30, 2014
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - Aug 14, 2014
    L5/S1 TLIF - Sept. 24, 2014
    Left-side screws/rod removed along with bone fragment Dec. 29, 2014
  • Hello Everyone,
    My name is Chris am I am new to the sight. I found this sight while looking for some answers for my current conditions. I would like to start off by giving everyone a brief detail of my history with back problems.

I am a 36 year old make who has had 2 micro diskectomys. The first was in 2011 when I was injured working as an electrician. That disc was L4-L5 and I had surgery to repair it. After this surgery it took me a couple of months to recovery but within a little bit of time I was able to go back to work and was doing good. The doctor sent me back to work with no restrictions.

On the first day Of Dec. 2013 I was working as a volunteer serving my community at a local Rescue Squad. We took a Patient in to the ER and were lifting them onto the hospital bed and needless to say I did it again. This time it was a L5-S1 disc herniation. I also had surgery for this one which was the second Micro Diskectomy which was done In Feb. of this year. My doctor has also explained to me that I have arthritis in my back, I have bad Collegn, And I have degenerative disc in my back. I have also has a total of 3 MRIs and the last one was after this past surgery done with contrast. My doctor says that the last MRI clearly does not show that the nerves are compressed. He said that the only thing it showed was degenerative changes to some of my disc. Its almost like he is stating that the ongoing issues I am still having are not related to the past injury. The Thing is I know better because these problems I am currently having have never been there until after this past surgery and I have told him that.

Both of these injuries have actually been workers comp cases and I wonder if that is not some of it. This far out of the last surgery date I would have thought my nerves would have calmed down but not yet.

As of now I am still having some real problems. I have to first say that I do not think that the nerves are still being pinched because the MRI shows them not to be. Also I know what that feels like and I am not in the same pain I was before the Surgery. However I am still having some pain in both legs but not terrible. I have a lot of really bad lower back pain but it comes and goes. It really depends on what I do and that's results on how much pain I will have after I do something.

One of my biggest problems is the real bad leg cramps at night and the constant twitching of my muscles in my legs. Its really hard to explain all these things to a doctor because the pain changes a lot.

All I have ask my doctor for is permanent restrictions to keep me from having future problems. I based that on what he has told me. I have also ask for a MMI rating and he has refused to do them until I go take a FCE. I also have another doctor who did An IME exam for me and says that I should have restrictions. I also ask him to refer me to a Neruroligist and he will not do that.

I guess what im asking for is to get some answers so any comments or advice would be helpful.
    Thank you all
  • My surgery was a complete success and I am walking 2 miles a day and wear my brace when up and around.,I had L5-S1 fusion with a spacer due to total degenerated disk! The result was from a papaya enzyme surgery in the 90s for a herniated . Did fairly well golfing, gardening, fishing over the years. Yeah some hard times of complete immobility but just kept moving along. When I turned 50 life begin to spiral out of control with chronic pain, and my inability to do much physically. Last year I lost my ability to use my right leg so off I went for an MRI which revealed a totally degenerative disk pinching all nerves.

Scared to death of surgery, I did my homework by talking those who have had the surgery, a million questions of the surgeon and pre op exercise. First 2 days hell!!! But after the pain was managed, I started to realize I was going to be ok and with a lot if hard work, I will be golfing, gardening and traveling without pain! I am amazed what the doctors can do and more amazed how the body heals. I had numbness and right leg pain until last week but now just the soreness of the surgery site healing. Keep the faith all and be patient with yourselves. We will get better! Ty for being here!
advertisement