Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF C5-6-7

This is my first post and though I've read many of your posts (which have been helpful) thought
I would jump in with my comments.
Had the surgery on 6/20/14, went home the next day, did not have to wear a collar at all.
So, Friday the 18th will be 4 weeks and I am still in pain. I returned to work on 7/7/14, just a
couple days more than 2 weeks....I do sit at a desk most of the day using a computer so it's
an "easy" job.
By the time I get home after 9 hours all I want to do is take a pain pill (Vicodin 5mg) for the
pain in my left shoulder & arm with numbness/tingling down to my fingers and go to bed.
I've gone grocery shopping being careful not to lift too much, doing a bit more around the
house each day but I am exhausted!
Thanks for listening to me "ramble".....any thoughts/comments appreciated.

• I had the same surgery, plus add c4-5, in Jan and still have the same pain issues you are having. One thing, the worst job for cervical spine issues is a desk/computer.
    I didn't go back to work until 6 week point, I wore an Aspen collar for a total of 3 months. Different surgeons have different protocals.
    You are way early in the healing process and in my opinion, not that it's worth much, but you shouldn't be back at work yet. your body has undergone a major assault and it will take time to heal. The surgery incision may be almost healed but the vertabre are probably just starting to fuse. Your body has to readjust to the new positioning of your neck and spine. It can take 1 to 2 years to be fully healed.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • aliscottaaliscott Posts: 8
    edited 07/22/2014 - 8:05 AM
    are either of you having trapezius pain? I am only three weeks out from my surgery, but as soon as I get on a computer - I have the exact same symptoms- and then I rub my traps and it recreates my pain also.. So makes me wonder if part of my problem was c567 and part myofascial/muscular. Like I wish it just all could be easy.

• Hi I am new to this and this is my first post. I had C5/6 acdf 4 days ago (4 Dec 2014). I left the ward at 11:40 and woke up at 13:30. I was very sick as I came round and had some anti sickness meds. I returned to the ward at 14:10. I came home the following day. I don't have a neck brace and don't really have a dressing as such. I have dissolvable stitches and a see through plaster over the wound. I have to say I haven't felt any relief of the left arm pain and pins and needles yet. Today the pins and needles feel worse than they did before surgery and seem to be in my little finger too! My surgeon was surprised I was still feeling the pain when I came round after the op which has worried me slightly that this hasn't worked! I guess only time will tell and my surgeon asked me to let him know in 2 weeks how I am getting on. I opted for surgery as I was taking an awful lot of pain meds just to feel normal.
    ACDF C5/6 metal plate fusion December 4th 2014