Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Success stories!!!!

I just wanted to briefly share my story and more than anything give a little hope to people going through back problems.

My pain started out like many other people's, no apparent reason but over a few days by back started to hurt more and more till I was in severe agony. I went to my doctor who prescribed meds and Sent me to physio saying I potentially had an herniated disk.

Over the next few weeks the pain in my back subsided but whenever I stood for 2 to 3 mins or more I had the worst pain build in my left leg until I had to squat or sit. That would relieve the pain immediately. This continued and while I tried to exercise per my PT programme it wasn't helping.

One day the pain came and as usual I tried to sit but this time the pain didn't subside. It got so bad I had my partner take me to A&E as it was unbearable. I thought at the time I had began to urinate a little as I was in so much pain. I was seen by 2 nurses a doctor and as that doctor was unsure his senior on the ward. Her diagnosis was I was just having a flair up of pain and gave me more meds and told to go home.

At this point I had been asking for an mri but had heard nothing. While the pain was not as intense I was further worried by it spreading to my right leg also. I decided to chase up my mri and was told they had received a request but it would be another month at least.

Now here is the important part and the bit that saved my life as I know it. I asked the department to put me on a cancellation list. The next day I received a call that an appointment had come up for the following day. So I went to the scan and entered the machine. Once completed the assistant took me out and told me there was a problem. The radiographer had taken a glance and seen an enormous herniation at L4L5 that was compressing my cauda equina and that I needed immediate surgery.

While a little in shock the next 24 hours was a haze. I was transferred from York by ambulance to Hull for emergency surgery. The surgeon said that he could not believe my mri was so bad for someone showing so few physical symptoms and that he would of expected loss of bladder function etc looking at how big the herniation was.

The surgery was done and all went well and while sore in my back my symptoms had immediately gone in my leg.

I'm now 4 days post opp and although I have some numbness in my right leg I hope that will recover in the coming weeks and months of recovery.

From the beginning of the pain I came to sites like this and found ppl who have never found relief from pain and the most horrible stories of suffering. It scares you and while I have so much sympathy for those who are suffering I also want to say good things do happen, ppl do get pain free and as with me a little bit of luck sometimes makes the world of difference.

All I would say is always keep up hope, always keep up pressure on the professionals treating you to get things moving and if ever you are waiting for a test or procedure ask to be put on a cancellation list. I believe it saved me from life changing symptoms and no one I saw before that believed it was as bad as I feared.

Please if anyone reads this who has also had a positive outcome could you share your story too and give anyone new or even those that aren't hope that things do turn out OK.

As for me I'm not out of tho woods yet and know I've got a lot of recovery to do but I hope this is the road to a full recovery.

Thanks for reading

• PaulPPaul Posts: 730
    edited 07/17/2014 - 10:42 PM
    Sgarbett364 said:
    always keep up hope, always keep up pressure on the professionals treating you to get things moving and if ever you are waiting for a test or procedure ask to be put on a cancellation list.
    I totally agree. I called on a Friday at 4:30pm and the following Wednesday I was on the table because someone had canceled out. Otherwise it would have been a 2 month wait and I was bedridden in agonizing pain.

During one of my early consults with one of the many surgeons I interviewed, he tried to end the consult by extending his hand out to me for a handshake and started to say goodbye, but I still had more questions. I shook it, but did not let go and sort of pulled him back into the room and respectfully, but firmly stated that I had more questions.
    He got the hint and stayed.

Another time, I needed to get an MRI. For some reason, the doctor would not write me the necessary prescription for an MRI. I went over his head and 2 days later I was in the MRI tube. The next day I had the films in my hand. The evidence was damning and it got me closer to a solution at a much faster rate.

I don't want to be a jerk but sometimes you have to be aggressive because no one else will advocate for you.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery