Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I have just joined the site. I am four days post-op from having a MicroDiscectomy on L4/L5 after having severe sciatica pain for over a year, Glad to find a site where we can all share helpful information. Would love to hear any advise anyone has to offer me.
microdiscectomy 7-2014

• Do you have back pain as well or was it mostly sciatica? Its interesting because my doctors were iffy on which surgery would be more successful for me...but having more severe back pain, the fusion was more logical for me! The first few days are scary, huh? Hang in there! You've come this far! :-)
  • I really don't have much back pain, I mostly get pain radiating down the leg. The first few days after surgery were scary especially when some of the pain came back whenever I would change positions either from sitting to standing or visa versa. Hopefully, in time, my nerves will start to calm down and I will experience some relief.
    microdiscectomy 7-2014
  • Absolutely! It takes time, but things ease up. The healing process can sometimes feel more like a new injury lol but... from what I've heard so far, it's all normal. Best of luck!
  • Thanks so much! How are you doing since your surgery? Has it relieved most of your back pain?
    microdiscectomy 7-2014
  • No problem at all! It's a scary time and its frustrating because although I'm sure you have many around you that care deeply, not many can possibly understand what you're feeling- hang in there. This is only step one!
    To be honest, I still feel pain... but more so from healing. It's still scary, but I must admit... it's a great feeling once that "wobbly" feeling drifts away! I think a huge thing is to try and stay as stress free as possible. I know that seems impossible lol but stress causes inflammation only leading to more spasms and irritation! So, keep a smile on! :-) ( I'm trying to remind myself of this as well!) still fairly frustrating for me. I knew it was going to be a long healing process, but I guess hearing it and actually going through it are two different things lol
  • hello! stopping by just to greet you, welcome aboard! see you around! :)
    "When do you think people die? When they are shot through the heart by the bullet of a pistol? No. When they are ravaged by an incurable disease? No. When they drink a soup made from a poisonous mushroom!? No! It’s when… they are forgotten."