Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower Back Pops when I Lie on the Floor

WilliamH04WWilliamH04 Posts: 4
edited 07/22/2014 - 9:36 AM in Lower Back Pain
I wasn't quite sure where to post this question as it's relative to many topics.

I've had lower back pain for a while. The pain has changed recently (in the last few months). I won't go through where I was before, but instead will explain how I am now. When I lie flat on the floor, either on my back or stomach, and exhale deeply, I get a sharp pain in my lower back at the spine. If I wait a few seconds, my back will pop at that low, painful spot at my spine. After the pop, my back feels pretty good for a while after getting back up off the floor and going about normal routines. But, it doesn't take long to start feeling (perhaps hours) a slight pain in my lower back again. Then I can lie on the floor and start over again. I realize I should go to a doctor, and I will, but was curious if fusion is an option for something like what I'm describing. My mother-in-law recently had a place in her back fused. I have no clue what was wrong with her back, but thought that sounds like something that might help me. I never even though about fusing disks or whatever gets fused until she had her procedure. I'm 48 years old. She's perhaps 20 years older than I am, but would rather get that spot fused so I don't have to deal with this daily. The area is very low in my back, so I can't imagine a fusion there will affect my flexibility much. Also, assuming fusion is an option, would it make more sense to get that place fused sooner rather than later? Doesn't just the smallest amount of material wear away with each pop? The more that wears away, I would think the more difficult a fusion would become. I have no clue. Just thinking about it in a mechanical way.

Thanks in advance.

• WilliamH04WWilliamH04 Posts: 4
    edited 07/22/2014 - 11:07 AM
    Well, I just read some post regarding lower back fusion procedures. If all that recovery time and pain is typical, I can understand why the doctors might wait until there's no other alternative. My back bothers me, but I don't think it's enough to justify going through all that at this point. I'll still make an appointment to see what's going on.
  • That pop is probably a spinal/facet joint moving. Usually it is not harmful itself, but is obviously a sign that something is not right. Joints can pop or click if they are not moving correctly or there is a weakness in the area.

I would look into some sort of exercise program to try to strengthen your back.

Spinal fusion is a major op, and also irreversible. I would be trying anything and everything else first, but you have to be willing to make the effort and any changes that are required.
    Lumbar disc bulge
    Torn Rotator Cuff
  • Spine surgery, particularly fusions aren't like other surgeries. It's not done to just take the pain away. It changes your spine forever & frequently causes problems with the surrounding areas as time goes on. It's definitely not a preventative kind of surgery. No reputable surgeon would perform a fusion as anything other than a last resort. The surgery & rehabilitation is brutal.
    Have you seen a doctor & had diagnostic tests about your pain? I'd find out what's going on & learn what conservative treatments are available to help.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.