Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5s1 fusion

I had my surgery back in April of this year. Dr says surgery went well. I hurt worse than before surgery. I take my meds like told my my dr. I still hurt. Has any one else had so much pain in the surgerial area that it takes you to the floor. I have some pain going down my right leg. But it is nothing compared to the pain in my back. I lay down and unable pt get up due to the pain is so bad. I physically can't move due to the pain. This is my third back surgery since 2009 , my dr says everybody is different . This can't be normal. Has any one had this
Doris Driver

• Have you had any updated imaging since the surgery? Have you stuck with the walking in small steps at first, and then increasing both time and distance? Are you going to or have you gone to physical therapy? Have you had any injections to see if they help?
    The MOST important part of post op is walking , short distances at first, to ease the muscles back into movement, and strengthening them over time. The longer you don't do that, the harder it becomes because the muscles start to atrophy due to lack of use.
    A physical therapist might be helpful in getting you moving again, presuming that nothing shows up on any further imaging.
  • My friend had her third fusion a week ago. It's so hard, I really feel for you both. Her surgeon says it can be a little harder each time & no surgeries & recoveries are the same so listen to your body. What medications are you on? A nerve med can make all the difference & as Sandi says its so important to keep moving a little each day. I know that's so hard to do when you're in so much pain...Ugh!!! What has your surgeon said about your increased pain?
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • ddriver1123dddriver1123 Posts: 26
    edited 07/23/2014 - 3:09 PM
    Hi the dr has ordered a ct and I started pt last week I am walking everyday. Walking doesn't both me it's the laying down and getting up. I am still on nartic and muscle relaxers. Ct is next week. I had to fall to the floor in pain for my dr to order this ct. He thinks it just post op pain and everyone heals differently. I hope so. But I am tired of hurting . I want my life back. I walk fine for awhile, but after a little while of walking I start hurting in my right leg. I just think that's nerve pain. Could this be muscle spams and could I have gotten use to the meds and they need to be changed
    Doris Driver
  • Have you tried a nerve med like Gabapentin? If it feels like nerve pain that could be worth a try it makes all the difference for some people. How is the PT going? I know it's hard at the start. I wouldn't push anything that hurts until you get the results of your scan. I know it sucks but this is a marathon. It's so hard isn't it?
    I recently switched from Tizanidine after about 4 years. I'm taking Baclofen now. Both work great for me. Can you see or feel spasms if you put your hand there? Some meds work better than others for different people. Trigger point shots (you can search here) really help me. I've had both lidocaine & Botox with steroids to numb the offending muscles. I have them done at a regular appointment. They're not a 'big deal' like epidural steroid injections. I ice straight after & they make it so much easier for me to do my stretches & exercises from PT.
    Do you have ER & breakthrough narcotics. I get tolerant to some of them faster than others. There are lots of different things they can try if functionings really hard.
    I'm sorry you're in so much pain. Don't let it get you down too much. It's so hard but things should start getting better you're still in recovery & it takes a long time sometimes. Hang in there ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • ddriver1123dddriver1123 Posts: 26
    edited 07/23/2014 - 5:50 PM
    I only have gone to one pt appointment due it has to be approved through workers comp. I think my dr wants me to wait til the scan results are back before continuing with pt. I have been on gabapenetij but made me very irritated , so had to get off, I have put my hands back there when this happens and no I can't feel any spams . Dr hasn't said anything about injections yet. All I am doing is taking it one day at a time and keep smiling cause I know this will not last forever. When I get these pains it feels more in the spine than anything, I don't it don't make sense but it feels like my tail bone is beening pushed through. It mainly happens upon sitting or lying down and I go to get up and it makes me do a double take. At first I thought it was muscle related but the more it happens the more it feels like bone. But if it is muscle spams how long do they last or go on after surgery. Can it be permanent. This week I haven't walk much because scared to get to from my house and the pain that took to the floor happens again and I not be home waiting for the ct results . I am walking like around my house some but staying in the yard. Pt only worked on my leg muscle never felt in my back, they told me they couldn't do anything but stretching excerises because I have hardware, didn't sound right to me, but where I live there's a lot of idiots here. But I am not letting it get to me, I have learned how to do things that doesn't required me to the blt's.
    Doris Driver