Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Returning to lifting and running

Bgreiner7788BBgreiner7788 Posts: 1
edited 07/22/2014 - 3:54 PM in Exercise and Rehab
I had a discectomy a week ago on my L5-s1. The operation went smooth, I was up walking the same day and have not had the usually muscle spasm/ severe sciatic pain. I still get a little when getting up after sitting for a bit but I assume that's normal.

My real issue is I am 27 yrs old and have been a super exercise freak since high school. I am about 5'9" and weigh 155 pre surgery fell down to 150 since then but that's ok for now. My problem arises with everyone's posts on this sites. Has anyone had success, honestly everyone seems doomed and gloomed to rot in a miserable painful life on this site. Like everyone gave up all hope their lives would return to just the same pre-surgery.

All I asked is if I give this time like 3-6 months of healing will I be able to return to my usual 4 day workout. I don't do anything crazy like lift Mount Everest above my head or try and dead lift a mac truck. I understand my risk for re-injury is a little higher but honestly by how much.

This site is beginning to make me feel more like I should have lived with the pain or ended my life, rather than do what the doctor ordered.

Please if you have a success story please share it, I've just read too many threads of these sappy, my life is over, stories then I want to hear. From what I understand a Microdiscectomy is minimally invasive. Heck my mother every told me the 2 screws they put in my ankle was more serious then this.

I only want to hear from those who have conquered their battle and enjoy living their lives how god intended us to.

Also just FYI my father had this surgery 6 yrs ago and too this day rides 20-60miles a week and works physical labor.

• After my first spinal surgery my back felt better when I went to the gym on a consistent basis. You just need to check with your surgeon regarding your restrictions.
    Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • some are just starting the journey into spine issues, and aren't diagnosed yet, some are diagnosed, but exploring conservative treatment measures, some are waiting for surgery, some are in the acute phase of post op after surgery, some are days, weeks or a few months out of major spine surgery, some are the same but more minor spine surgeries, and there are a few of us who are several years out.
    Once your surgeon clears you to return to your physical activities, there is no reason unless he tells you otherwise that you can not resume most of your previous activities, once you are physically healed.
    There is no need to be dimissive of what the others on this forum have and are going through, and discouting their experiences is not necessary.
  • Ahh the irony of youth- you feel bullet-proof and so you do things that ultimately lead to your own demise! Been there, done that. I'm 56, w/m 6-0 195# and a recreational "athlete" (hockey & cycling- but no more running sports) So I've had injuries that probably were directly caused by sports and general treachery and I'm paying for it now in middle age with surgeries and rehab time. Luckily I have good health insurance. I had a lot of fun "earning" those injuries, but they came at a price. I have to ask myself from time to time, was the fun worth it? I guess we have to be thankful we can play sports because many people in this forum never could and probably never will.
    Yes, you will be able to return to your activities, but as you age, things start wearing out and makes it difficult and painful to do those things which just leads to more wear and tear and injuries. So as you age, you still want to be active, but you'll need throttle back so you can have an otherwise normal life Monday - Friday. (Wow, I can't believe I'm even saying this- like the pot calling the kettle black!) So if you continue to work out and push yourself at a high rate, stuff is gonna start breaking and wearing out. So you'd better choose what hill you want to die on! You're young and still fairly bulletproof so you'll probably heal well from this surg. But, remember, a dude just carved a hole in your back so it's gonna take time for the healing and rehab process. You'll probably be back out there playing sports or whatever, but eventually you'll discover that the only things worth doing are those that give you pleasure, not pain. So who cares if you can bench 300#, or run 2:30 marathon? Did you earn any money doing this? Did we see you on TV? No? Then why beat yourself up? Some people are just obsessed with finding their limit at the price of their health. (A girl at my co. ran 62 marathons last year to get in the Guinness book, and now she's complaining of knee and ankle pain--DUHHHH!)
    There are people in here that have some real bad problems and I pray that God relieves their pain. It's not fair that these folks have these defects in their bodies that gives them so much pain. So far I feel blessed that my simple L3-L4 micro decompression has solved my pain symptoms (I hope). Do I want get back on the rink and on the bike? Heck yes, but I, like you, need to do some serious thinking about what we can and can't do if we want to live a long, relatively pain-free life. Just stop and say a prayer for some of these people that live in pain and misery, and pray that you don't really tear yourself up and put yourself in misery too. Be careful out there and good luck with your recovery. I think you're gonna be fine.
    Life's short, play hard.
  • I understand your grief, I'm 34 and have severe stenosis and badly bulging disk in my lower back. I bought my first horse a year ago and enjoy riding her 4-5 times a week. However I'm taking a break as I'm
    worried it might make my situation worse. I'm expecting that I will need to do some invasive surgery in the very near future. I have three kids, thank god before my back problems started. I'm not into any sports other than all things equestrian.
    I just want to be able to live a pain free life and to ride.
    I would advise you to not do rigorous exercise in the future you could risk harming yourself. I understand you might think it's unfair but I the end of the day we are lucky enough to be able to have an operation and to be pain less ! Just do anything you want but in moderation. I was heartbroken when I took the decision to take a break from riding but I'm thinking ahead I have many years ahead of me !
    Good luck and take it tranquilo !
  • I can completely relate to your post. I have always been a go hard or go home guy which can be a curse lol. I have injured myself plenty of times just by pushing things to hard and not allowing the time for my body to recover. I'm in the beginning of having this debilitating pain in my back it has had me sidelined going on 2 weeks I'm still doing cardio and Abbs but I'm just itching to get back in the weight room. The hard part will be when I get back setting limits on how hard I can push myself mentally I'm there I just need to learn physically my body just can't do some of those things anymore. Geez getting old sucks lol.
  • Hi! Totally get where you are coming from! I am now 8 weeks post op (my second microdiscectomy, first one was 5 years ago) unlucky is my middle name! I'm 26 and a huge exercise freak...pre op I had a very bad bout for a few weeks where I couldn't walk and not being able to exercise made me depressed. I am determined to get back to full fitness...about 2 weeks post surgery I started back in the gym again...just doing some gentle cardio and core exercises from my physio and swimming once my stitches had dissolved! I have started some free weight exercises (nothing too heavy) and everything is feeling good! I have had a little bit of nerve irritation the latest few days but called my spinal nurse who said that's about normal for this time post surgery, just going to have an easy few days.
    There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to do what you did before, considering your recovery is spot on and you get you core, glutes and back strong! I'd leave running for a bit so everything is strong before hand! That's my opinion anyway. I know from experience everyone thinks exercise is the worst thing you can do but you back is made for movement and only you know your limits!
  • RunnerHKTRRunnerHKT Posts: 231
    edited 11/29/2014 - 4:26 AM
    And wondering how you are doing now. One thing about these sites is that they are very attractive to folks who are still laid up from spine problems because all we can do is hang around on the computer. Once we start to feel physically better, we aren't as glued to the computer. I do have a friend who had a microdiskectomy about 9 months ago, she will be completing a half marathon this weekend. Probably not really running, but I know she will finish.