Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF What to look for in a surgeon / Pre Op questions to ask

Hi all. This is my first post here. I am a 42-year-old woman. I have been diagnosed with a herniation at C5-C6 after having an MRI. For the past few months I have been through all the standard stuff.... drugs, chiropractor, acupuncture, heat, ice, massage, et cetera. I was told I had a very good chance of the disk reabsorbing. This has NOT happened, and my symptoms are getting worse. I have arm pain and tingling, my hand (thumb, pointer, and middle fingers) numb and in pain. I have a pulling sensation from my neck if I turn it. When I wake up in the morning, I cannot grab things, meaning I just cannot make my arm and hand go in that direction. I have an appointment with the spine surgeon on Friday. I am pretty positive I'm looking at ACDF surgery. It is even killing me to type this. My arm is going completely numb, and my hand and neck ache always.

My question is this: What do I need to look for in a surgeon? How many surgeries performed successfully, if he/she is board certified, what? Also, are there other pre-op questions I need to ask?

Thanks so much! I am in a very stressed and scared place.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,868
    40 Questions to ask your surgeon

It starts off about Back surgery, but so many questions still apply. Then there is a section about cervical surgery
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • LILZA1LLILZA1 Posts: 6
    edited 07/24/2014 - 2:06 AM
    Thanks so much. I have EDIT. I am wondering if any of the surgeons are board certified. I also wonder how easy it is to change doctors if I want someone else to perform the surgery. This is a serious thing, and I want the best. Also, I am wondering if they do disc replacement. I just know that I am heading in the surgery direction, and I want to have all my facts. But this is like a steamroller. Every day it is getting worse, and I don't want to wait until it is too late and end up having an emergency situation where just anybody performs the surgery. My neck and arm and hand are KILLING me.

Post edited to remove name of specific hospitals. by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team
  • NJDanNNJDan Posts: 31
    edited 07/24/2014 - 2:06 AM
    I have Dr. EDIT too. He is one of the best in NY or NJ. You're lucky to have him

Post edited to remove name of specific doctor. by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team