Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

NEED ADVICE

joshkim178jjoshkim178 Posts: 33
edited 07/23/2014 - 5:05 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hey Guys,

Has anyone heard of the Edited to remove facility name ? I'm in the philadelphia area and they offer an endoscopic approach for my cervical disc herniation. I have a C5-C6 herniation and I''ve been to several Ortho and NS surgeons. One has suggested a fusion as the best bet. I was looking into a partial discectomy from the back b/c i dont want any plates or screws (i'm 29 years old). But i wasnt sure if doing a partial in the back is the same as the endoscopic approach from the EDITED to remove facility name . And no one else seems to offer that approach other than the institute. I'm always hesitant on the artificial disc since its relatively new.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've waited long enough and feel that surgery is my only option now but I need to choose the right approach.

thanks in advance

Post edited to remove medical facility name. Posting of medical facility names is not permitted on Spine Health.5.10 You agree not to post specific physician names or health care facilities names on Spine-Health.com.
advertisement

Comments

• jerseypipedreamsjjerseypipedreams Posts: 90
    edited 07/23/2014 - 8:25 AM
    I have heard that laser treatment is an amazing option if you don't want to go the whole regular spine surgery route. However and this is a BIG however, I believe they only accept self pay. Because it's not concidered a nessessary operation. And your insurance will not accept the bill. The operation runs around 10,000$. Had a friend who had it done and he is good as new. It's just very expensive but if your in a lot of pain, have alot of money on hand and you don't want to go with the traditional operative methods then go for it.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,302
    edited 07/23/2014 - 5:02 PM
    particular place. They have been sued multiple times for misrepresenting their "cures". They have been sued for burning the discs, nerves and other tissues with a laser , which results in pain relief temporarily. It is simply nothing more than a RFA procedure that you pay alot of money out of pocket for, and often the use of the laser causes more problems down the road, due to the damage from the laser.
    Do a google search on lawsuits and the name of the facililty. You will find more information than you care to read.
    And no , they don't take insurance.......there is a reason that you don't hear about "laser surgery " as a standard/wide spread treatment option when it comes to spine surgery, it is unproven and that is why insurance won't pay for it.
  • joshkim178jjoshkim178 Posts: 33
    edited 07/24/2014 - 2:20 AM
    Hey Sandi,

I did not realize about the posting rules. Sorry for that. The place I am talking about does not advertise a "laser" procedure. But they offer an endoscopic approach which is minimally invasive and recovery time would be reduced. I believe it is similar to a posterior partial disectomy.

I cant afford to be out of work for 3 weeks and this procedure seemed worth while.

Any advice again is appreciated
  • but I would not go to the place that you were talking about. There are other minimally invasive techniques, provided that your surgeon feels they are an option for you.
    You don't want anyone burning the disc, because that can lead to more problems down the road.
    http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/minimally-invasive-spine-surgery-systems
    http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/microdiscectomy-microdecompression-spine-surgery
  • Hey Sandi,

I dont believe the place I was originally talking about does any type of "burning" Or at least that is not what I was talking about. They were considering an endoscopic approach. A different ortho doc I met with did not provide the endoscopic approach as an option but only considered an ACDF or a partial disectomy from the back. He highly suggested the ACDF over the partial because of the success rate but given how young I am, I dont feel that an ACDF is a good option.

I've read so many stories of segmental disease after ACDF and I feel that I would run into that problem down the road.

I just want an opinion on whether or not I'm making the right decision going with the partial. My ortho seemed very against it but couldnt provide a valid enough reason for me.
advertisement