Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone have any insight on LTD or SSDI

tonystarksttonystarks Posts: 1
edited 07/26/2014 - 4:48 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Hello Everyone,

I am hoping someone can give me some insight. I am 45 years old and i have had back problems for many years. The most recent flair up has had me barely able to walk 10 feet. The pain I am experiencing has been excruciating. I have been through epidurals and spine injections and they have not helped. The pain seems to get worse everyday. I am currently on Short Term disability and that is almost coming to an end. The summary on my MRI which is two pages long reads as follows.

IMPRESSION

MID/LOWER LUMBAR DEGENERATIVE DISC CHANGE. LUMBAR LEVOSCOLIOSIS

CENTRAL LEFT L2-3 DISC HERNAITION WITH SLIGHT CEPHALAD EXTENSION OF DISC MATRERIAL. MINIMAL LEFT ANTERIOR THECAL SAC EFFACEMENT

BROAD BASE CENTRAL L3-4 DISC PROTRUSION WITH AT LEAST 50-60% THECAL SAC EFFACEMENT. CAUDAL EXTRUSION OF DISC MATERIAL ON THE LEFT WITH LEFT L4 NERVE ROOT INVOLVEMENT/COMPRESSION. DISC MATERIAL ABUTS THE RIGHT L4 NERVE ROOT.

CENTRAL RIGHT L4-5 DISC PROTRUSION WHICH ABUTS THE RIGHT L5 NERVE ROOT.

GRADE 1 L5-S1 SPODYLOLISTHESIS. BILATERAL L5 SPONDYLOLYSIS. BILATERAL FORAMINAL DISC EXTENSION WHICH ABUTS THE L5 NERVER ROOT.

My dr. recently told me I will be dealing with pain management for the rest of my life. Does anyone have any insight if I would qualify for Long Term disability or SSDI. I have been hearing some horror stories about the application process and denials. I do have a Long Term Disability policy through my current employer but they are very tight lipped about it. My fear is when my STD is up and I apply for LTD I was told I will be let go from my position. This would happen before I get an approval or denial from the insurance company. If I get denied I'm screwed. No LTD and no Job.

Any help or insight is truly appreciated.

Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 07/26/2014 - 4:51 AM
    Hi Tony. EDITED You much be in so much pain! Have you spoken to a spinal surgeon? Have you considered surgery while you've still got a job & insurance? I'd be worried about permanent nerve damage.

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about disability claims but I've heard that its pretty difficult. There's a whole forum here on insurance issues (Click on Mind/Body/Spirit) Maybe someone else has been through a similar experience & can advise you. Good luck! ;-)

Post edited by Sandi- It is a violation of Spine-Health's forum rules to ask for, and to provide analysis, or interpretation of medical tests.
    You agree not to ask for any analysis or interpretation of diagnostic tests (ie MRI, CTScans, EMG, etc.),
    You agree not to respond to any request for analysis of diagnostic tests (ie MRI, CTScans, EMG, etc.)

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/forum-rules

Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I'm also on Disability through an insurance company provided by my employer. I would call the insurance company and clarify a few things. You may still be able to apply for LTD whether you are employed or not. My disability is not dependent on whether I return to my current job. It's at least something to look into and get the ball rolling before your STD is out.

Good luck!
    LC
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014