Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Have you had Kyphosis surgery?

My name is Tom and I am scheduled to have surgery to correct my kyphosis Oct. 22, 2014. I am 46 years old and have endured chronic mid-back pain since 1993. I would like to meet someone who has been through the kyphosis surgery to find out what his/her pain was like before the surgery and after the surgery. I'd like to know what to expect post-op, what tips and tricks are most useful, and mainly try to relate to someone who has been through the same situation I have been dealing with. I believe in "paying it forward" and if someone can give me some info/insight now, I promise to give someone else the same benefit in the future.

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hi Tom,
    I didn't have a lot of pain before I had my 360 fusion of C4 thru C7 back in 2007 which also corrected my kyphosis. Post surgery wasn't real painful either. My recovery went well and now I am 15 weeks post-op of a posterior fusion of C2 all the way down to T3. I didn't have a lot of pain for about two weeks, then I developed pain between my shoulder blades. That is probably due to all the muscles that were cut during the procedure and are now healing. I really have no neck pain at all.
    Anterior surgery is typically less painful compared to posterior.
    I'll admit this last go-round was a little more tougher going but I am constantly improving so I'm seeing positive results now.
    Let me know if I can be of any help or support and I'll do my best to try and answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.
    Take care,
  • Tom O.TTom O. Posts: 2
    edited 07/27/2014 - 5:43 PM
    Thank you Ranger and Sandi. I've gained a lot of helpful information from your posts. I would like to clarify what procedure the doctor has me scheduled for as I may not have been clear on that. I am not having kyphoplasty performed. The doctor is going to put screws and rods in to straighten the curvature of my thoracic spine. I believe it is called a fusion with instrumentation.

My cervical spine will not be fused nor will my lumbar spine.

The pain that I've had for the last 20 years has been in my mid-back and has gotten so bad that I can't lead a normal life anymore. Doing the dishes at the sink for 5 minutes or taking my small 20lb dogs for a 10 minute walk kills me. I can't go see a movie because I cannot sit in the chairs for more than 40 minutes without my pain level rising to intolerable heights. Even going to the grocery store to do some light shopping is a painful endeavor.

I am hoping someone in this forum can relate to what I've been going through and has had the same situation with their pain before having the fusion surgery. If so, did the fusion surgery help alleviate the chronic pain once you healed from the surgery itself? Were you able to lead a more normal life? If it only reduced the chronic pain, how much relief did you get from the surgery?

Since this surgery is such a major endeavor, I would like to find out how much benefit it may produce to see if it is worth having it done. I have tried everything else I could think of to control the chronic pain; acupuncture, physical therapy, medial branch blocks, epidurals, chiropractics, pain management classes, tens units, capsaisin treatments, inversion tables, rollers, thera-canes, posture correction braces, etc...

This surgery seems to be my last hope but I am terribly nervous about the outcome and would like some real-life advise from people who have gone through this already.

Thanks again, I really appreciate any info you can share.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    edited 07/28/2014 - 1:54 AM
    Hey Tom,
    I didn't have a lot of pain pre-op but I did have some after sleeping at night. My surgery was done to avoid possible shearing of the spinal cord as my vertebrae was collapsing and sliding. I was also getting tingling and numbness in my hands and fingers,
    those symptoms have almost all but disappeared now.
    My fusion is with instrumentation which includes almost all of the cervical spine and two levels of the thoracic spine. I still have some discomfort throughout my shoulders but I expect with more healing time I will get better as I have in the past.

It's a major surgery, recovery takes time, only you can decide with your doctors if this procedure is for you. There is no guarantee's you will be pain free post-op, if you are, consider it a bonus. My surgery was to stabilize the spine and prevent further problems.
    Good luck & keep us posted here on your journey.